Exploring the Milne Universe in 2D: Rindler Spacetime Comparison

In summary, the conversation discusses the Milne universe in two dimensions, which has a metric similar to Rindler spacetime but with inverted time and space. The conversation also mentions the Carter-Penrose diagram and the book "Physical Foundations of Cosmology" by Mukhanov. The concept of a true cosmological singularity is also discussed, with the conclusion that the Milne universe does not have one. Finally, the conversation turns to the topic of a compact Milne universe and the search for articles and research papers on the subject.
alialice
I'm studying the Milne Universe in two dimensions. The metric is similar to that of Rindler spacetime, but with time and space inverted.
[itex]ds^{2}=-dt^{2}+t^{2}dx^{2}[/itex]
The Carter Penrose diagram of this spacetime would be the same of Rindler spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "Milne universe"? Is that where Winnie ther Pooh lives?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The "Milne universe"? Is that when Winnie ther Pooh lives?

The Wiki

Apart from Winnie the Pooh, anyone has an idea on what to do?

alialice said:
Apart from Winnie the Pooh, anyone has an idea on what to do?

I don't. What have you done? What's a Carter-Penrose diagram? What's a Rindler spacetime?

The Milne universe I've familiar with is just a funny coordinate system on flat, topologically trivial spacetime. Carter-Penrose diagrams, such as I understand them, deal only with coordinate independent geometry and topology of the manifold. Given these definitions (which may not be yours - please clarify) - the Carter-Penrose diagram would just be that for Minkowski spacetime.

Dickfore said:
I don't. What have you done? What's a Carter-Penrose diagram? What's a Rindler spacetime?
If you don't know what are they, you can't help me, I'm sorry!

PAllen said:
The Milne universe I've familiar with is just a funny coordinate system on flat, topologically trivial spacetime. Carter-Penrose diagrams, such as I understand them, deal only with coordinate independent geometry and topology of the manifold. Given these definitions (which may not be yours - please clarify) - the Carter-Penrose diagram would just be that for Minkowski spacetime.

I think my definitions are the same of you, I don't think there are others...! (I studied Wald and Townsend)
I conclude that the CP diagram of Milne is the same of part of Minkowski in two dimensions.

Sorry, I don't know much about this, so my post doesn't help much. I am familiar with the Milne universe, but I have never really worked with Penrose diagrams. There is a small bit on this in the book Physical Foundations of Cosmology by Mukhanov.

"Region I in Figure 2.7 corresponds to a future light cone which can also be covered by Milne coordinates. The Milne conformal diagram is geometrically similar to the Minkowski one, though it is four time smaller.

Problem 2.10 Draw the conformal diagram for the Milne universe and verify this last statement."

This is part of a section on conformal diagrams.

I have a copy of the book, but the relevant pages (52, 53) are available at Google Books.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Sorry, I don't know much about this, so my post doesn't help much. I am familiar with Milne universe, but I have never really worked with Penrose diagrams. There is a small bit on this in the book Physical Foundation of Cosmology by Mukhanov.

Perfect, thank you!

George Jones said:
I am familiar with Milne universe, but I have never really worked with Penrose diagrams.

Please George, do you think that t=0 is a true cosmological singularity?
Metric [itex] ds^2=dt^2 -t^2dx^2 [/itex] with the constraint t>0

alialice said:
Please George, do you think that t=0 is a true cosmological singularity?
Metric [itex] ds^2=dt^2 -t^2dx^2 [/itex] with the constraint t>0

I'm not George, but the answer to your question is no. Your spacetime is flat for t>0, so there is no singularity for t>0.

At t=0 what you have is an apparent change of signature which a sensible physicist will not panic and interpret as follows. If you start with flat spacetime described by the usual coordinates, and then carry out a certain singular change of coordinates, you get coordinates in which the metric looks like the form you're talking about. The change of signature is then an artifact of your bad choice of coordinates. Whether this is the *right* interpretation is something that the standard formalism of GR can't answer, since the standard formalism of GR can't deal properly with changes of signature.

Here is a discussion of a very similar example: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch06/ch06.html#Section6.4 Your example basically describes a universe in which rulers systematically conspire to change their lengths over time; such a change is unobservable. My example is one in which clocks systematically conspire to change their rates over time, and it's similarly unobservable.

Last edited by a moderator:
bcrowell said:
Your spacetime is flat for t>0, so there is no singularity for t>0.

Thank you Ben.
I know that the spacetime is flat, and it doesn`t present any "curvature" singularity. But by "cosmological" singularity I mean a singularity such as that of a Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metric for the scale factor a(t)→0.
Is Milne universe espanding in time? I think yes because the scale factor is t. So for t=0 I aspect a cosmological singularity.
The Milne metric I consider now is
[itex]ds^{2}=-dt^{2}+t^{2}dx^{2}[/itex]

(even previously I wrote a metric with signs interchanged in referring to the book of Mukhanov)

alialice said:
I know that the spacetime is flat, and it doesn`t present any "curvature" singularity. But by "cosmological" singularity I mean a singularity such as that of a Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metric for the scale factor a(t)→0.

The definition of singularity you want to use is not standard and not useful. If you insist on that definition, then the question of whether a given spacetime has a singularity depends on the coordinates arbitrarily chosen to describe it.

Hello alialice

I am also studying Milne Universe in two dimensions, so If you have time i will be happy to communicate.

compact milne universe

I am doing a research about the compact Milne Universe in two dimensions Using special relativity.
such that (t,θ) goes to (t,θ+β).

the metric is ([ds][/2]=[dt][/2]+t[dθ][/2]

and i am trying to find this compactification parameter (β) and age of the universe.

appreciate anyone who can recommend any article and research paper regarding this kind of model.

1. What is the Milne Universe and how does it relate to Rindler spacetime?

The Milne Universe is a mathematical model used in cosmology to describe a universe that is expanding at a constant rate and has no matter or energy. It is often used as a simplified version of the expanding universe described by the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) metric. Rindler spacetime, on the other hand, is a different mathematical model used to describe the geometry of spacetime in the vicinity of a uniformly accelerating observer. The Milne Universe and Rindler spacetime are related because they both involve a flat spacetime with a constant expansion rate, but they differ in their assumptions about the presence of matter or energy.

2. What is the significance of exploring the Milne Universe in 2D?

Exploring the Milne Universe in 2D allows us to simplify the mathematical calculations and visualize the concepts more easily. It also allows us to compare and better understand the differences and similarities between the Milne Universe and Rindler spacetime in a more manageable way.

3. How does the geometry of Rindler spacetime differ from the Milne Universe in 2D?

In the Milne Universe, the spacetime is flat and the geometry is described by the Minkowski metric. In Rindler spacetime, the spacetime is also flat, but it is described by a different metric that takes into account the acceleration of an observer. This results in a non-inertial frame of reference and a different geometry compared to the Milne Universe.

4. What is the role of the Rindler horizon in the comparison of the Milne Universe and Rindler spacetime in 2D?

The Rindler horizon is a mathematical boundary that separates the region of spacetime accessible to an observer from the region that is inaccessible due to the observer's constant acceleration. In the comparison of the Milne Universe and Rindler spacetime in 2D, the Rindler horizon plays a key role in understanding the differences between the two models, as it represents a fundamental difference in the geometry of spacetime.

5. How does the concept of time dilation differ between the Milne Universe and Rindler spacetime in 2D?

In the Milne Universe, time dilation is due to the expansion of the universe and is uniform throughout the entire spacetime. In Rindler spacetime, time dilation is also present, but it is caused by the acceleration of an observer and is not uniform. This means that different observers in different regions of Rindler spacetime will experience different rates of time passing.