Do you do reserch by your own?

• Thread starter MadAtom
  • Start date
In summary: I really enjoy reading journals and finding out more about the world around me. I also try to explore new topics on my own and ask my teachers for help if I'm struggling. It really depends on the topic. I would say that if it's something I'm interested in, I'll do my best to learn more about it. It's really important to have fun with learning, as well!
MadAtom
[for high school students] surely I'm not talking about real research, but I just want to know if you try to solve advanced (physics or maths) problems or if you dedicate some time to study things that are not taught at class. And by "study" I don't mean HSW or popular science books (don't get me wrong, I'm not despising those sources of knowledge!).

If yes, how did you started? which topics do you explore? I found this Gerard 't Hooft website (http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html), but it's too much stuff and I'm going to university soon. I just want to get in a topic so I can... speculate... practice... have fun!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd spend a Saturday and/or Sunday at the city public library or university library, or do problems from textbooks that I'd buy at a technical book store or university book store. During my undergrad years, I frequently bought extra textbooks for upper level or grad school courses.

reading journals is far more useful than doing textbook problems.

Finding out what you like is important. If it is "easy" (aka enjoyable) to read the articles, you are in the right place. If a certain topic excites you, read more about it.

Think about the biggest question you can and see where that leads you.

sorry for replying late, internet connection issues... Ok but you guys just follow (or used to) the program of your teacher or try to learn more advanced things by yourself? Not just for feeding your curiosity. More seriously.

MadAtom said:
sorry for replying late, internet connection issues... Ok but you guys just follow (or used to) the program of your teacher or try to learn more advanced things by yourself? Not just for feeding your curiosity. More seriously.

While I'm not in high school anymore, and I don't attend college at the moment, I do learn a lot about science on my own and have done Exoplanet Transit Light Curves myself. I don't know if you'd call that research, but it's something I'd say.

Drakkith said:
I don't know if you'd call that research, but it's something I'd say.

It is more then what I do.

1. What is the purpose of conducting research on your own?

The purpose of conducting research on your own is to expand our knowledge and understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon. It allows us to explore new ideas and make new discoveries that can benefit society.

2. How do you come up with research ideas on your own?

There are many ways to come up with research ideas on your own. Some scientists may get inspiration from current events, personal interests, or previous research. Others may use brainstorming techniques or collaborate with colleagues to generate ideas.

3. What is the process of conducting research on your own?

The process of conducting research on your own typically involves identifying a research question, reviewing relevant literature, designing and implementing experiments or studies, analyzing and interpreting data, and communicating results through publications or presentations.

4. What are the challenges of conducting research on your own?

Conducting research on your own can be challenging because it requires a lot of time, effort, and resources. It also involves dealing with unexpected setbacks and failures, as well as managing and organizing large amounts of data. Additionally, researchers may face challenges in obtaining funding or gaining access to necessary equipment or materials.

5. How do you ensure the reliability and validity of your research when working on your own?

To ensure the reliability and validity of research conducted on your own, it is important to follow the scientific method, use appropriate research methods and techniques, and carefully document and analyze data. It is also beneficial to seek feedback from colleagues and peers, conduct peer reviews, and replicate experiments to verify results.