Determining the limit of an infinite sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the limit of a sequence using L'hopital's rule and general formulas for determining the limit of a sequence. The sequence in question is an = (1+(5/n))2n and as n approaches infinity, it becomes an indeterminate form of 1∞. The conversation explores using natural log and the limit law to solve for the limit, but ultimately applies l'Hopital's rule to the sequence (1+(5/n))^(2n) to find that the limit is e10.
cwbullivant

Homework Statement

Determine the limit of the sequence: an = (1+(5/n))2n

Homework Equations

L'hopitals rule, or at least that's what I'm thinking. Otherwise, general formulas for determining the limit of a sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

an = (1+(5/n))2n

Considering the behavior of the sequence as n goes toward infinity, (5/n) is a very small change in size, so it goes approximately to zero, leaving:

an = (1)2n

Which, as n goes to infinity, is essentially: 1, an indeterminate form. To resolve this, take the natural log:

an = ln(12n) = 2n(ln(1))

Rearranging it to give a L'hopital's rule acceptable form of 0/0, gives:

ln(1)/[1/2n]

And taking the derivative:

0/(-1/2n2) = 0

And raising to e to get back to the original value:

e0 = 1

Except this is clearly incorrect, as we determined in class that the sequence converted to something around 22,000, and not 1.

Other than this, I tried not canceling the (5/n), taking the log, and then splitting it using the limit law:

lim[f(x)*g(x)] = lim(f(x)) * lim(g(x))

But this didn't work either, as the limit of 2n by itself diverges as n goes to infinity, and this sequence is known not to diverge.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwbullivant said:

Homework Statement

Determine the limit of the sequence: an = (1+(5/n))2n

Homework Equations

L'hopitals rule, or at least that's what I'm thinking. Otherwise, general formulas for determining the limit of a sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

an = (1+(5/n))2n

Considering the behavior of the sequence as n goes toward infinity, (5/n) is a very small change in size, so it goes approximately to zero, leaving:

an = (1)2n

Which, as n goes to infinity, is essentially: 1, an indeterminate form. To resolve this, take the natural log:

an = ln(12n) = 2n(ln(1))

Rearranging it to give a L'hopital's rule acceptable form of 0/0, gives:

ln(1)/[1/2n]

And taking the derivative:

0/(-1/2n2) = 0

And raising to e to get back to the original value:

e0 = 1

Except this is clearly incorrect, as we determined in class that the sequence converted to something around 22,000, and not 1.

Other than this, I tried not canceling the (5/n), taking the log, and then splitting it using the limit law:

lim[f(x)*g(x)] = lim(f(x)) * lim(g(x))

But this didn't work either, as the limit of 2n by itself diverges as n goes to infinity, and this sequence is known not to diverge.
Do you know what the following limit is?

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/itex]

cwbullivant said:
an = (1+(5/n))2n

an = (1)2n
As I think you have recognized, this is not valid. It's true that (5/n) is going to zero, but 1 + 5/n never EQUALS 1. It's always strictly larger than 1, and meanwhile the exponent, 2n, is getting larger and larger. The result very much depends on how fast the exponent is growing vs. how fast (5/n) is shrinking.

an = ln(12n) = 2n(ln(1))
Well, this doesn't get you anywhere, because ln(1) = 0. I'm not sure what you were trying to do after that.

Do you know the following limit?

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

SammyS said:

As I recall, it's e, but I never saw how that was proved or derived. The instructor I had for first semester calculus said that it was true "by definition".

If it helps, the convergence several classmates say they found for the problem I'm having trouble with was precisely e10.

cwbullivant said:
As I recall, it's e, but I never saw how that was proved or derived. The instructor I had for first semester calculus said that it was true "by definition".

If it helps, the convergence several classmates say they found for the problem I'm having trouble with was precisely e10.

Your classmates are right. And you can use l'Hopital. But apply it to (1+(5/n))^(2n). Not 1^(2n), that would be foolish.

SammyS said:

Dick said:
Your classmates are right. And you can use l'Hopital. But apply it to (1+(5/n))^(2n). Not 1^(2n), that would be foolish.

Excellent, I've got it now. Thanks for the assistance.

1. What is the definition of the limit of an infinite sequence?

The limit of an infinite sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases without bound.

2. How do you determine the limit of an infinite sequence?

To determine the limit of an infinite sequence, you can use various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, or the root test. These methods involve evaluating the terms of the sequence and determining their behavior as the number of terms increases.

3. Can the limit of an infinite sequence be undefined?

Yes, the limit of an infinite sequence can be undefined if the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value or if they oscillate between multiple values.

4. What is the significance of determining the limit of an infinite sequence?

Determining the limit of an infinite sequence is important in understanding the behavior of a sequence and its long-term trend. It can also be used to determine convergence or divergence of a series, which has many applications in mathematics and science.

5. Are there any real-world applications of determining the limit of an infinite sequence?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of determining the limit of an infinite sequence, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the limit of a sequence can be used to model and predict the behavior of a system over time.