Help for Ionization Arranging and Explanation

• Thread starter bebelova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionization
In summary, the atoms and ions arranged in order of increasing radius are K, K+, S2-, Cl, O. The reason for the position of S2- in relation to the atom or ion before and after it is due to its effective nuclear charge, which is the difference between the number of protons and the amount of electron shielding. In general, if two atoms have the same atomic number, the cation will have the smallest radius, followed by the neutral atom, and then the anion with the largest radius. The relative position of an atom or ion can also be determined by considering its quantum level.
bebelova
1. a) Arrange the following atoms or ions in order of increasing radius:
Cl, S2-, K, K+, O
b) Give an explanation for the position of S2- in relation to the atom or ion that comes just before and just after it.

I was not sure that is why i am posting these..

my answer is...
1. a) K>K+>S2->Cl>O (im still not sure because K+and S2- has same number)

b) [I DIDNT GET THIS SENTENCE..-_- BUT I WAS TRING TO ANSWER AS..]

S2- is in middle position of these atoms and ions because this gains 2- atomic number(?!)

Pleas hellllpppp~

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You need to find the term effective nuclear charge through the index of your text, I believe that this will be in direct correlation with your answer (Zeff=proton number - electron shielding). Also, try finding images of cations and anions in your text, search through the atomic structure chapter (body centered, closed packed, etc...).

In general, if you have two atoms with the same atomic number, a cation<neutral<anion in radii.

For the second question, you'll need to consider the relative positions in relevance to the quantum level (I forgot the appropriate term), i.e. 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2.

Great job on arranging the atoms and ions in order of increasing radius. Your answer is correct, except for K+ and S2- having the same number. K+ has a larger radius compared to S2- because it has lost one electron, resulting in a decrease in electron-electron repulsion and therefore a larger radius.

As for the explanation for the position of S2-, it is in between K+ and Cl because it has gained two electrons, resulting in an increase in electron-electron repulsion and therefore a smaller radius compared to K+. However, it is still larger than Cl because S2- has an extra electron shell, leading to a larger atomic radius.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of ionization and atomic radii. Remember, as you move across a period (from left to right), the atomic radius decreases due to increasing nuclear charge, and as you move down a group, the atomic radius increases due to increasing number of electron shells. Keep up the good work!

1. How does ionization work?

Ionization is the process by which an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons, resulting in a net charge. This can occur through various methods such as exposure to high energy radiation or collisions with other particles.

2. What is the purpose of arranging ions?

The arrangement of ions is important in understanding the properties and behavior of different substances. It allows scientists to predict how ions will interact with each other and with their environment.

3. What factors affect ionization?

Some factors that can affect ionization include the strength of the electric field, the energy of incident particles, and the composition and structure of the atom or molecule.

4. How can ionization be measured or detected?

Ionization can be measured through various methods, such as mass spectrometry, ionization chambers, or Geiger counters. These techniques rely on the detection of ionized particles or the measurement of changes in electrical properties.

5. Can ionization be controlled?

Yes, ionization can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the strength of an electric field, changing the temperature or pressure of the environment, or using specific materials or chemicals to limit or promote ionization.