Transient - Contact Analysis in Ansys

In summary: Ansys does not provide specific recommendations for these parameters, so you may need to experiment to find the best values for your specific problem.
dimikallio
Hi all!

I am trying to solve a transient contact analysis in Ansys 14.0

The problem is a Bouncing Rectangle problem. That's the procedure I use:

/Prep7

k,1,-30,0,0
k,2,30,0,0
k,3,-30,30,0
k,4,0,30,0
Create->Areas->Arbitrary->Through Keypoints !Create the ground

k,50,-20,30,0
k,70,-20,45,0
k,80,0,45,0
Create->Areas->Arbitrary->Through Keypoints !Create the foundation

k,500,-10,95,0
k,600,0,95,0
k,700,-10,105,0
k,800,0,105,0
Create->Areas->Arbitrary->Through Keypoints !Create the bouncing rectangle

Element Type->
Type1->Plane183 (Stress with thickness) rectangle
Type2->Plane183 (Stress with thickness) foundation
Type3->Plane183 (Stress with thickness) ground

Real Constants

Set1->Plane183 (Thickness=10)
Set2->Plane183 (Thickness=10)
Set3->Plane183 (Thickness=10)

Add Materrial Properties
Material 1 (rectangle)
EX=4400 ksi
Poisson Ratio=0.25
Bilinear : Yield Stress=4, Tangent=220
Material 2 (foundation)
EX=5100 ksi
Poisson Ratio=0.25
Bilinear : Yield Stress=6, Tangent=255
Material 3 (ground)
EX=5500 ksi
Poisson Ratio=0.25
Bilinear : Yield Stress=8, Tangent=280

Glue Areas (foundation & Ground)

Meshing: Edge Length=2 for all

Contact Pair (surface to surface): Using Contact Wizard: Target=Area of Foundation, Contact=Area of Rectangle

Create Component: Based on Material Type : Rectangle

Solution

-Type=transient (No lumped mass approach)
-Large Transiend Displacement
-Automatic Stepping=off
TIMINT,off
-Time=0.0002
-Time step size=0.0001
-Rayleigh Damping:Stiffness Matrix Multiplies=0.0002
-Component (Rectangle) Acceleration=386.4
-Force Convergence=0.00001
-Apply->Displacement->Nodes->Select all->All DOFs
Solve
-Delete->Displacement->Nodes->Select all->All DOFs
-Apply->Displacement->Lines->(Fix foundation and Ground)
-Timint,on
-Time=3
-Automatic time stepping=on
-Initial time step size=0.02 with min 0.0002 and max 0.02
-Reset force convergence tolerance
-Save results for every time step
Solve

That's all I do

The questions I have are:
-Do I need to define any initial stiffness for the contact or I just should let the program calcualate it according to the material properties I am defining>
-When I define global gravity for the whole system, the rectangle falls down w/o even getting in contact with the foundation!
-When I plot the displacement and velocity everything looks fine. However, in the animation I did the rectangle does not get in touch! in all the impacts that take place!So, the forces I get are wrong!Should I do anything extra to correct that!?
-I want to solve also a problem that the contact and the target surfaces are in both surfaces (symmetric contact pair) because the material properties I use are not much different for the rectangle and the foundation! So, should I have the target rigid or I can just use flexible to flexible?
-Sometimes, I have convergence problems. Should I change any of the contact default options to correct that? (ICONT, CNOF,close gap,exclude everything,gap and offset,penalty of augmented method, contact stiffness etc). I tried to change some of them but I didn't find any difference in the solution. And ansys doesn't provide any recommendations about all these...

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
</code>This looks like a challenging problem. I'm not sure I have all the answers, but here are some suggestions that may help you.Do I need to define any initial stiffness for the contact or I just should let the program calcualate it according to the material properties I am defining?No, you don't need to define any initial stiffness. Ansys should be able to calculate the appropriate stiffness based on the material properties you've defined.When I define global gravity for the whole system, the rectangle falls down w/o even getting in contact with the foundation!Gravity should not affect the contact. If the rectangle is falling down without contacting the foundation, you may need to adjust the geometry of the rectangle or the foundation to ensure they make contact.When I plot the displacement and velocity everything looks fine. However, in the animation I did the rectangle does not get in touch! in all the impacts that take place!So, the forces I get are wrong!Should I do anything extra to correct that!?If the forces are wrong, then there may be an issue with either the geometry or the material properties. Make sure that the geometry is set up correctly and that the material properties are accurate. You may also need to adjust the contact parameters to ensure that the contact is modeled correctly.I want to solve also a problem that the contact and the target surfaces are in both surfaces (symmetric contact pair) because the material properties I use are not much different for the rectangle and the foundation! So, should I have the target rigid or I can just use flexible to flexible?It depends on the application. If you want to model the contact accurately, then you should use a flexible to flexible contact. If you only want to approximate the contact, then a rigid to flexible contact may be sufficient.Sometimes, I have convergence problems. Should I change any of the contact default options to correct that? (ICONT, CNOF,close gap,exclude everything,gap and offset,penalty of augmented method, contact stiffness etc). I tried to change some of them but I didn't find any difference in the solution. And ansys doesn't provide any recommendations about all these...If you're having convergence issues, then you may need to adjust some of the contact parameters. Start by adjusting the contact stiffness and then adjust the other parameters if

1. What is transient-contact analysis in Ansys?

Transient-contact analysis in Ansys is a simulation technique used to study the dynamic behavior of mechanical systems where contact between components changes over time. It is commonly used to analyze the impact, collision, and separation of two or more bodies in motion.

2. How is transient-contact analysis different from static-contact analysis?

Transient-contact analysis involves the study of dynamic events, while static-contact analysis focuses on stationary or quasi-static conditions. This means that transient-contact analysis takes into account the time-dependent behavior of the components and their interaction, while static-contact analysis assumes that the system is in equilibrium.

3. What are the key factors that need to be considered in transient-contact analysis?

The key factors that need to be considered in transient-contact analysis include the material properties of the components, the contact conditions (friction, adhesion, etc.), the motion and loading of the bodies, and the time-dependent behavior of the system. Proper consideration of these factors is crucial in accurately simulating the behavior of the system.

4. What are some common applications of transient-contact analysis in engineering?

Transient-contact analysis is commonly used in engineering to study impact events, such as collisions and drops, in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer goods. It is also used to analyze the behavior of machines and mechanical systems that involve contact between components, such as gears, clutches, and bearings.

5. What are the benefits of using Ansys for transient-contact analysis?

Ansys is a powerful and versatile software that offers a wide range of tools and features for transient-contact analysis. It allows for accurate modeling of complex contact conditions, provides detailed visualization of the results, and offers various customization options to suit different simulation needs. Additionally, Ansys has a user-friendly interface and offers excellent technical support, making it a popular choice among engineers for transient-contact analysis.