Greatest common denominator.

• Thread starter bobby2k
  • Start date
In summary, to find the common denominator of a, b, and c, you can first find the greatest common divisor (gcd) of a and b, which is called d. Then, you can show that gcd(a,b,c) = gcd(d,c) by using the fact that gcd(a,b,c) must divide d. You will also need to show the converse, that gcd(d,c) will also divide gcd(a,b,c).
bobby2k

Homework Statement

Show that in order to find common denominator of a,b,c, you can first find the gcd to a and b called d.
Then gcd(a,b,c)= gcd(d,c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we atleast must have that gcd(a,b,c) divides d, can I use that?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobby2k said:

Homework Statement

Show that in order to find common denominator of a,b,c, you can first find the gcd to a and b called d.
Then gcd(a,b,c)= gcd(d,c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we atleast must have that gcd(a,b,c) divides d, can I use that?
Yes, that will help you show that gcd(a,b,c) divides gcd(c,d). Then you have to show the converse.

What is the "Greatest Common Denominator"?

The Greatest Common Denominator (GCD) is the largest number that can evenly divide two or more given numbers. It is also known as the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) or Highest Common Factor (HCF).

How is the Greatest Common Denominator calculated?

The GCD can be calculated using different methods, such as finding the prime factorization of each number and then identifying the common factors, or using the Euclidean algorithm which involves repeated division and finding the remainder until the remainder is 0.

Why is the Greatest Common Denominator important?

The GCD is important in simplifying fractions, finding equivalent fractions, and solving problems involving ratios and proportions. It is also used in performing operations with fractions, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Is the Greatest Common Denominator always unique?

Yes, the GCD is always unique for a given set of numbers. This means that regardless of the method used to calculate it, the result will always be the same.

Can the Greatest Common Denominator be larger than the smallest number in a set?

Yes, the GCD can be larger than the smallest number in a set. This can happen when the smallest number is not a factor of the other numbers in the set, but another larger number is a common factor.