How to Find Most Current Physics Models

In summary, some physicists learn the most recent models by reading papers that have been submitted to peer reviewed journals. They can try searching for these papers on Web of Science.
irishhockey
Hi Everyone,

So I think this is a bit of a loaded question, but how do professional physicists find/learn the most recent models? I have been trying to find the correct search terms on web of science for the past few days, but so far I have only found papers dealing with experimental or simulation results.

Just as a side note, I am going to be a Sr physics major in the fall, and I think not having this ability is a rather major gap in my skillset.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The most recent models in what? Some fields of study in physics are very well established, and "the most recent models" will be actually quite old, while some fields of study are advancing quite rapidly. What fields are you looking for?

Of course, you start with learning physics from textbooks and lectures and the like to learn the general and broad topics, and then one usually progresses into a narrow field where reading research papers or review letters are necessary to know the state of the art in that field.

I'm particularly interested in heat flow, phonons, things of that nature, I've already looked into the Debye Model and Einstein Model in Stat Mech. and Intro Solid State( side note, friends don't let friends read the more recent editions of Kittel). I ideally want to find the first papers that had a mature Density Functional Theory, and work back on the theories they are based off.

More important to me however, is the actual process. If I wanted to learn about current theories that are competing in any given sub-field of physics how would I go on web of science and search for it?

You can try starting with arxiv.org they have a pretty large list of publications, but be careful because they are not peer reviewed. What you can do is find the article on there, and try to see if it's been submitted to a peer reviewed journal, and whether it passed referee or not.

I guess I'm really most looking for search terms I've realized. Also, as I've said I have access to Web of Science http://wokinfo.com/. If I do some search terms like "Solid State" & "Theory" I get experimental results or simulation studies. I cannot find the reviews that bundle up a series of equations, derived or empirical, into a coherent "theory" like the Debye or Einstein theories of solids.

Also, I do really appreciate the help.

One last thing, I know arXiv is free, but it's sorting options are not so good. I can't tell what method it's using, but it's the only one available.

1. What is the process for finding the most current physics models?

The process for finding the most current physics models involves staying up-to-date with current research publications, attending conferences and seminars, and networking with other scientists in the field. It also requires thorough literature reviews and critical analysis of previous models.

2. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of current physics models?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to cross-reference multiple sources and consult with experts in the field. Additionally, checking for peer-reviewed and published research can help verify the validity of the models.

3. Are there any online resources for finding the most current physics models?

Yes, there are various online databases and publications such as arXiv, ScienceDirect, and Physics Today that provide access to current physics models and research publications.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand and utilize current models?

While a strong background in physics is helpful, it is not always necessary. Many models are written in a way that can be easily understood by those with a basic understanding of physics. Additionally, collaborating with other scientists and consulting with experts can provide further understanding.

5. How often do new physics models emerge?

New physics models emerge continuously as research and technology advance. The frequency can vary depending on the specific field of physics and the current state of research in that field.