Infinite Acceleration, Conservation of Energy, and Negative Mass

In summary, physicists are trying to figure out a way to create perpetual motion by using negative mass, but it appears to violate the conservation of energy.
Raze
I've read that the Alcubierre Drive depends on the existence of negative mass, but I've seen that physicists say it could violate the conservation of energy. Their reasoning is that basically a negative mass and positive mass would interact in a perpetual motion sort of way that eternally decreases entropy, that they'd accelerate infinitely.

I was wondering if someone here could help do a kinematics demonstration of that and why such perpetual motion would come of it and why it violates conservation of energy.

I guess I'll start my own attempt to understand with Newton's gravitational law. Suppose these two particles (one with negative mass) are close enough that if they were normal they'd attract.

F = -Gm1m2/r2

except m2 < 0, so I'll add a negative sign.

Then F = Gm1m2/r2

which should mean they repel away from each other, right? If that negative sign were still there, we could have

a = -F/m1 = -Gm2/r2,​

which would mean they would accelerate at a constant rate until they hit each other, right? If the negative is removed, that means they'd accelerate at a constant rate away from each other, right? Then how is this infinite acceleration? It seems it's just a constant acceleration away from each other.
Or is it that merely adding a negative sign isn't enough to describe how negative mass would behave? If it were more like negative mass always repels negative mass, and positive mass always attracts positive mass, then would mixing the two would result in a repulsive AND attractive force? If so I can see why that could be a conundrum.

But if the masses were of different magnitude, wouldn't either the repulsive or attractive force win out, resulting in more or less "normal" energy situations? And if the masses were of equal magnitude, wouldn't the repulsion and attraction exactly cancel in this scenario? (resulting in a net of zero kinetic energy)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is meant by "infinite acceleration"?

Infinite acceleration refers to a theoretical concept where an object is said to accelerate infinitely fast. This would mean that the object's velocity would constantly increase without any limit, resulting in an infinite change in position over a finite amount of time.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to infinite acceleration?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of infinite acceleration, the energy would constantly be increasing due to the object's increasing velocity. However, this would also mean that an infinite amount of energy would be required to accelerate the object, which is not possible in reality.

3. Can negative mass exist and how does it relate to infinite acceleration?

Negative mass is a theoretical concept that suggests the existence of matter with negative mass, which would have properties opposite to regular matter. While there is no evidence to support the existence of negative mass, it is often used in thought experiments to explain concepts such as infinite acceleration. In theory, objects with negative mass would accelerate in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in infinite acceleration.

4. How does infinite acceleration affect the laws of physics?

Infinite acceleration would violate the laws of physics as we know them. It would defy the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, and also the theory of relativity. It is a concept that exists only in theory and is not possible in the physical world.

5. Can infinite acceleration be achieved in reality?

No, infinite acceleration cannot be achieved in reality. According to the laws of physics, it would require an infinite amount of energy, which is not possible. Additionally, the concept of infinite acceleration defies our current understanding of the laws of physics and the limitations of the universe.