Problems with proofs of Robert Geroch mathematical physics

In summary, the speaker is having trouble understanding the proofs involving monomorphisms in Robert Geroch's Mathematical Physics. They question the validity of using specific cases for X instead of considering all objects X. However, the expert believes that there is no loss of generality in using specific cases, as the proof still holds for any other X. They use the example of finding coefficients in a partial fractions decomposition to explain this concept.
impblack
Hello guys, I'm new in this forum, this is my first Thread.

I've started reading Robert Geroch's Mathematical Physics recently and I've been having problems with some of the proofs that involve monomorphism.

He defines monomorphism the following way (pg 4):
let ψ be a morphism between A and B. For any object X, let α and α' be morphism form X to A such that ψoα=ψoα', then, if ψ is a monomorphism, α=α'.

But then in some proofs later on, when he wants to demonstrate that some mappings are monomorphism he uses specific cases for X, the simplest cases he can find. But i was thinking that it would only be a valid proof if the definition of monomorphims was: There is at least one object X and not For any object X.

A proof for example (pg 5):
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/706x397q90/538/S51cvZ.jpg

Where he uses a specific X (a set with only one member). Is there no loss of generality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe there is no loss of generality. There are three sets, X, A and B. We are given A and B, and that phi is a monomorphism from A to B.
X is introduced as a tool to show a = a'. If it is true for X, it is true for any other X, because a and a' are elements of A, not X. Whether a = a'
or not is already fixed by A B and phi. The simplest analog I can think of to this kind of reasoning is finding the coefficients in a partial fractions
decomposition: you can use any values of x you want to get a system of equations for the coefficients, but once you get those coefficients, it
doesn't matter what values you used. I hope that helps.

1. What are some common problems with proofs in mathematical physics?

Some common problems with proofs in mathematical physics include logical errors, incorrect assumptions, and insufficient evidence or justification for claims.

2. Why is it important to carefully examine proofs in mathematical physics?

Carefully examining proofs in mathematical physics is important because it ensures the validity and accuracy of mathematical theories and models used in scientific research and applications.

3. How can one identify potential issues with proofs in mathematical physics?

One can identify potential issues with proofs in mathematical physics by carefully checking for any logical inconsistencies, incorrect assumptions, or lack of evidence or justification for claims. Additionally, consulting with other experts in the field can also help identify potential problems with a proof.

4. How do problems with proofs in mathematical physics impact the scientific community?

Problems with proofs in mathematical physics can lead to incorrect conclusions and unreliable theories, which could have significant consequences for the scientific community. It can also waste valuable time and resources if flawed proofs are used as a basis for further research.

5. What steps can be taken to improve the quality of proofs in mathematical physics?

To improve the quality of proofs in mathematical physics, it is important for researchers to carefully review and critique each other's work, use rigorous mathematical techniques and logic, and provide sufficient evidence and justification for claims. Collaboration and peer review can also help identify and address potential issues with a proof.