Gardening for the Win: Home-Grown Meals!

• Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
In summary, God loves gardening, and the food they are going to have tonight is all homegrown. They are missing out on some of the benefits of gardening in the summer, because it's too hot, but they are looking forward to eating all the goodies from the garden in the fall.
pattylou
God I love gardening.

For dinner tonight, we're having stuffed peppers. They are home grown organic bell peppers, and will be stuffed with a mix of yummies primarily home-milled home-grown corn bread (polenta.) The stuffing will also have home grown garlic and onions and herbs.

We'll also have pumpkin soup with home grown orgainc squash, pumpkins, carrots, onions, herbs.

Whatever protein we have (chicken stock in the soup, for example) comes from the store... but that's a minor fraction of the dishes.

I don't know how we'll round out the meal...

We have pumpkin pie for dessert.

I don't know if men and women are "wired" differently, as Gabrielle asked (though I expect they are), but am I ever psyched about all the goodies coming in from the garden this time of year. I'll be in the kitchen today.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oooh, I haven't had stuffed peppers in a long time. Maybe I should make some soon. Yummy! Thanks for making me realize I'm hungry!

I'm definitely going to miss having a yard for gardening next summer (I'm already eyeing up the fall bulbs...the ones for spring flowers...longingly, wishing I had a place to plant them). I think I'll order some paperwhites to force indoors this winter.

im hungry now I am proably having gourmet kraft dinner

I've been cutting herbs to dry, and pulling long term storage carrots, onions and tunips. I wished I had saved some potatos, but they were just too yummy when they were "new".
Both sweet and dill pickles are canned{thank you sister} and about 14 quarts of berries are frozen.
My pumpkins failed this year,and green beans didn't do to well either. Just way to hot, and too many mean bugs.

Oh! I forgot, we're having home grown/vine ripened watermelon on the side.

Hypatia! Cheers! I can send you rhubarb to go with your frozen berries, if you're planning to make pies. Yum.

1. How do I get started with gardening at home?

To start a home garden, you will first need to choose a suitable location with access to sunlight and water. Then, decide what type of plants you want to grow based on your space, climate, and personal preferences. Next, prepare the soil by removing any weeds and adding nutrients if needed. Finally, plant your chosen seeds or seedlings and regularly water, fertilize, and maintain your garden.

2. What are the benefits of growing your own food?

Growing your own food has numerous benefits, including providing access to fresh and healthy produce, saving money on groceries, reducing your carbon footprint, and promoting a sense of self-sufficiency and satisfaction. It can also be a great form of exercise and stress relief.

3. How do I ensure a successful harvest from my garden?

To ensure a successful harvest, it is important to properly care for your plants. This includes regular watering, fertilizing, and pest control. It is also important to monitor the health of your plants and address any issues promptly. Additionally, following recommended planting and harvesting times for your specific plants can increase your chances of a successful harvest.

4. Can I grow a garden without using pesticides?

Yes, it is possible to grow a garden without using pesticides. There are many natural and organic methods for pest control, such as companion planting, using natural predators, and creating physical barriers. Proper plant selection and maintenance can also help prevent pest infestations.

5. What should I do with excess produce from my garden?

If you have excess produce from your garden, there are several options for what you can do with it. You can share it with friends, family, or neighbors, donate it to a local food pantry or community organization, or preserve it through canning, freezing, or drying. You can also incorporate it into your meals or try new recipes to use up the excess produce.

Back