How Do Cars Propel and Planes Fly with Different Engines?

• Thread starter Mozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Plane
In summary, the conversation covers questions about the propulsion of cars and planes. The combustion process in a car engine is not an explosion, but rather burning. The force from the explosion is applied to the piston, which rotates the wheels through the crankshaft. The transmission is responsible for giving the car its propulsion. As for planes, old fashioned ones from WW1 and WW2 used spark ignition reciprocating engines similar to car engines but with multiple engines for higher power. Modern planes use gas turbine engines, which are also used in helicopters and other applications.
Mozart
Hello I have a few questions regarding cars and planes.

I don't understand how a car or any locomotive with a combustion engine is propelled. I understand up until how a mixture of air, and fuel is pumped into a cylinder, a piston rises, and the spark ignites the explosion, and then the exhaust port opens allowing for the exhaust to travel somewhere. Does the force created by the explosion go towards the exhaust port, and that is what gives the car its propulsion? Once the thrust is directed in that direction where does it go? I was told once that the transmission is what gives a car its propulsion so I am thinking now does the force end up going to the trasmission? I am just very confused.

I would also like to know how a car reverses, and what allows for this.

As for planes what kind of engines were used on old fashioned ones from like ww1, and ww2? The ones with the propellers. Were they anything like gas turbine engines on modern planes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Car
1. It is not an explosion in the combustion chamber. It is burning. An explosion can occur but it would damage the engine.
2. The force is applied on the piston which is connected to a crankshaft which rotates the wheels. Try wikipedia or howstuffworks for the basics of a car engine. They explain the car engine basics pretty well.

Planes
Propeller planes normally use spark ignition reciprocating engines aka car engines only they are many in number for high power with some other small differences.

Gas turbines are used as turboprops in helicopters, propeller planes(I think) and jet planes, generation of electricity, etc.

Thank you!

1. What is the difference between a car and a plane?

The main difference between a car and a plane is the mode of transportation. A car is a ground vehicle that runs on roads, while a plane is an aircraft that flies in the air. Cars are used for short distance travel, while planes are used for long distance travel.

2. How do cars and planes work?

Cars and planes both use engines to generate power. Cars have internal combustion engines that use fuel to create mechanical energy to move the wheels. Planes have jet engines that use combustion of fuel and air to generate thrust, which allows the plane to move forward and stay in the air.

3. What is the average speed of a car and a plane?

The average speed of a car depends on various factors such as the type of car, the road conditions, and the speed limit. On average, a car can travel at a speed of 50-70 miles per hour. The average speed of a plane is much higher, ranging from 400-500 miles per hour.

4. How do cars and planes stay on their designated paths?

Cars stay on their designated paths by using the steering wheel to control the direction of the wheels. This allows the car to turn and stay on the road. Planes have a similar mechanism, but they use a combination of controls such as the rudder, ailerons, and elevators to stay on their designated flight path.

5. What are some safety measures for car and plane travel?

Some safety measures for car travel include wearing seatbelts, obeying traffic laws, and performing regular maintenance on the car. For plane travel, safety measures include following protocols and instructions from the flight crew, wearing a seatbelt during takeoff and landing, and performing regular maintenance on the plane.