Help finding an equation for the level curve

• Thread starter SigmaCrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for the level curve f(x,y)=(x^2+y^2)e^(xy) that contains the point P(1,0). The individual is struggling with solving the equation and converting it to polar coordinates. They are asking for assistance in correcting their method or continuing with the solution.
SigmaCrisis
Hey guys, I tried it out, but I just don't get it. I have to find the equation for the level curve f(x, y)=(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy); that contains the point P(1,0). By the way, e^(xy) is read e to the x times y, just in case.

What I did, which looks wrong the whole way was:

(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy) ---> (x^2)(e^(xy)) + (y^2)(e^(xy)) = 0

---> ln(x^2) + ln(e^(xy)) = (-1) ln(y^2) + ln(e^(xy))
---> 2ln(x) + xy = (-1) (2ln(y) + xy)
---> 2ln(x) = (-1)(2ln(y))

...and I'm stuck there. Could anyone help correct this, or if possible, help continue? Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought that the equation you need to solve would be written as:

[tex]f(x,y) = f(1,0)[/tex]

Or

[tex](x^2+y^2)e^{xy} = e[/tex]

From here, my instinct would be to convert to polar coordinates.

Carl

SigmaCrisis said:
I have to find the equation for the level curve f(x, y)=(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy); that contains the point P(1,0).

What I did, which looks wrong the whole way was:

(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy) ---> (x^2)(e^(xy)) + (y^2)(e^(xy)) = 0

Why did you write that

[tex]f(x,y)=(x^2+y^2)e^{xy}=0[/tex]?

You want a level curve. That means that f(x,y) is the same for all points of the curve.The level curve should contain the point with x=1, y=0. Plug in these values and see what you get for f(x,y).

ehild

What is a level curve?

A level curve, also known as a contour line, is a curve on a graph that connects points with the same value. These curves are used to represent data that has multiple variables or dimensions.

Why is finding an equation for a level curve important?

Finding an equation for a level curve allows us to mathematically represent and analyze the relationship between multiple variables. This can help us understand patterns and make predictions about the data.

How do I find an equation for a level curve?

To find an equation for a level curve, you will need to have data points with corresponding values. You can then use mathematical techniques such as interpolation or regression to determine the equation that best fits the data and represents the level curve.

Can an equation for a level curve be used to make predictions?

Yes, an equation for a level curve can be used to make predictions about values within the data set. By plugging in different values for the variables, you can determine the corresponding value on the level curve, giving you a prediction for that specific point.

Are there any limitations to using an equation for a level curve?

While an equation for a level curve can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is a mathematical representation and may not always accurately reflect the real-world data. Additionally, the accuracy of the equation may be impacted by the quality and quantity of the data points used.