Understanding the Role of Potassium in Blood Pressure Regulation

In summary, the article explains how increased potassium intake lowers blood volume by reducing the osmotic pressure in the blood.
Spirochete
I am confused about how increased potassium intake lowers blood volume. I understand that K+ is the primary intracellular cation, and Na+ is the primary extracellular one. I also know that the Na-K pump ejects 3 Na+ from the cell for every 2 K+ it brings into the cell.

My book physiology book is very vague about how this works. Anyone have an explicit explination for how this works?

Biology news on Phys.org
I found this article that seems relevant (I haven't read the full article yet, just scanned the abstract):
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WN4-4B3NCPD-M&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=9cd76136713fee0969a58c9f181cfcc2

It looks like what potassium is doing is increasing the rate of sodium excretion, and it's really the shift in sodium that's reducing blood volume and thus blood pressure. I'm not completely sure on that though.

Hey thanks for looking around. I guessed that this would be something someone would know off the top of their heads, apparently it's more complicated than I'd thought. Sadly I don't have think I have access to ScienceDirect. I'll have to ask a professor whether I can access through my school.

I think you may have misread the abstract slightly, though. Were you referring to this sentence about sodium excretion?

"The fall in blood pressure was not related to urinary sodium excretion before entry to the trial or while on placebo."

Hmm...I think I pasted in the wrong link! I had two articles, one that referred to sodium excretion and was a more recent article, and one that was older and said it wasn't in their experiment. I think I got the older one but not the newer one if that's the quote you got from it. :confused:

This isn't even touched upon in my old books, so I'm guessing it's something added since I was in school, and I'm not finding it easy to locate research articles on it either. Since cardiovascular physiology isn't my specialty, I'd have to spend more time thinking through the whole system to try to reason through an explanation...might not do much better than you have on your own here. Maybe there's a reason the book is vague...sometimes it's because the authors don't know the mechanism either.

Yes that's probably my biggest pet peeve with science texts. I spend hours racking my brain trying to come up with an explination for something, finally give up and ask a professor only to learn that nobody knows the answer. Or even if the answer is just too obscure/complicated to address in the text, the author could at least acknowledge that something isn't being explained adequately.

The article you're referring to might be there somewhere, I'm trying to navigate the cumbersome, giant fonted science direct website. . .

I think i have an explanation, Na is responsible for the osmotic force intravascularly ( as well as interstitially) urinary sodium excretion will led to lessened osmotic pressure and lowered blood pressure.

1. What is the relationship between potassium and blood pressure?

Potassium is an essential mineral that helps regulate blood pressure by balancing the amount of sodium in the body. When there is too much sodium in the body, it can cause high blood pressure. Potassium helps counteract this by relaxing the walls of blood vessels and allowing for better blood flow, which can help lower blood pressure.

2. How does potassium affect blood pressure?

Potassium helps regulate blood pressure by acting as an electrolyte in the body. It promotes vasodilation, which is the widening of blood vessels, allowing for better blood flow and reduced pressure on the arterial walls. It also helps the kidneys remove excess sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure.

3. What are the recommended levels of potassium for maintaining healthy blood pressure?

The recommended daily intake of potassium for adults is 4,700 milligrams per day. This can be achieved through a balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and lean meats. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet.

4. Can taking potassium supplements help lower blood pressure?

In some cases, taking potassium supplements may help lower blood pressure. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any supplement regimen. They can advise on the appropriate dosage and monitor for any potential side effects or interactions with other medications.

5. Are there any risks associated with consuming too much potassium?

Consuming too much potassium can be harmful, especially for those with kidney disease or other health conditions. High levels of potassium in the blood, known as hyperkalemia, can cause irregular heartbeats, muscle weakness, and even cardiac arrest. It is important to follow the recommended daily intake and consult with a doctor before taking any potassium supplements.