How 2 find distance from non uniform velocity time graph where can't use triangle?

In summary, a trolley of mass 930 g is held on a horizontal surface by two springs. The speed of the trolley for the first 0.60s is shown on a v-t graph with a maximum of 8.0cms^-1 and minimum values of 0.0s and 0.6s. To determine the distance moved during this time, one can use the formula s=ut+at^2/2 or estimate the area under the curve using rectangles. If you know calculus, you can calculate the exact area by finding an antiderivative. A diagram or digital picture of the graph may also be helpful in estimating the area.
*Double post,from merge of 2 posts,sry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
inv
Hi. *Problem solved.

A trolley of mass 930 g is held on a horizontal surface by means of two springs,one spring on the left and right respectively.The variation with time t of the speed v of the trolley for the first 0.60s of its motion is shown in the fig(It's a v-t graph,max y=8.0cms^-1 ,min x=0.0s & 0.6s) below.

untitled.jpg

Use the fig above to determine the distance moved during the first 0.60s of its motion.

The answer=0.031m +-.001m.I find using a triangle to find half of the distance,then multiply 2 to get the whole distance not satisfying.I used s=ut +at^2/2 also and still didn't get it.Any 1 pls tell of a way to get the ans?

*Edit

Last edited:
What is the area under the curve?

What is the area under the curve?

Im sorry, but I don't understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

Last edited:
Im sorry, but I don't understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

It's distance,which is represented under the area under the curve,how to find?

You approximate the area using rectangles.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

Crosson said:

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

Crosson said:

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

A diagram would certinaly be nice!

Can you segment the area under the graph into nice geometric regions? By that I mean triangles and rectangles?

I've just added the graph pic on the first post,edited.If u 1 ,refer to that 1.

Last edited:
This thread has been merged with another IDENTICAL question that the OP has cross-posted. So if it appears to make no sense at some spot, it isn't my fault.

Zz.

1. How do I find distance from a non-uniform velocity-time graph?

To find distance from a non-uniform velocity-time graph, you can use the formula: distance = velocity x time. This formula will give you the total distance covered by the object over the given time period.

2. Can I still use the triangle method to find distance on a non-uniform velocity-time graph?

No, the triangle method can only be used for constant velocity. For non-uniform velocity, you will need to use the formula distance = velocity x time.

3. What if I don't have the exact values for velocity and time on the graph?

If you don't have the exact values, you can estimate them by using the slope of the curve on the graph. The steeper the slope, the higher the velocity, and the longer the time period, the greater the distance.

4. Can I use the area under the curve to find distance on a non-uniform velocity-time graph?

Yes, you can use the area under the curve to find distance on a non-uniform velocity-time graph. The area under the curve represents the total distance traveled by the object.

5. Is it possible to find the distance traveled at a specific time on a non-uniform velocity-time graph?

Yes, you can find the distance traveled at a specific time by finding the area under the curve up to that specific time. This will give you the total distance traveled by the object up to that point in time.