Total and dihedral energies ffrom MD simulations

In summary, after a long molecular dynamic simulation of a polymer under periodic boundary conditions, it was found that both dihedral and total energies were lower than zero. This could be due to the total kinetic energy not being enough to overcome the negative potential energy of the particles. However, the specific force field used and the form of the dihedral term can also play a role in obtaining negative energies. Overall, a negative total energy suggests that the system is favorable.
jspock
Hi guys,
I hope you can give me any idea about:

After a long molecular dynamic simulation of a polymer under periodic boundary conditions, dihedral and total energies are lower than zero, (negative). do you know the physical meaning of that result?

thanks for reading and for your help

jspock

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Since nobody else has responded yet, I'll go ahead and hazard a simple guess--though I have very little experience with MD simulations myself.

Is it as simple as the total kinetic energy is not enough to overcome the (negative) potential energy of the various bonds and/or attractions among the particles?

Sorry if you've thought of that and ruled it out, as I have no idea of your background or experience.

Thanks Redbelly, you are right but after your comments and some more reading I found out a best answer:

energy on MD simulations, depends very much on which force field you use, and the particular form they use for the dihedral term; many use periodic terms, including several terms for one dihedral; i.e.

U = K*(1 + n*cos(PHI - PHIeq))

so depending on, it is possible to easily get negative dihedral energies.

Total energies are usually negative, because it means that the system is favorable (the lower the better).

thanks

javier

1. What is the significance of total and dihedral energies in MD simulations?

Total energy refers to the sum of potential and kinetic energies of all particles in a system, while dihedral energy specifically measures the energy associated with the rotation of bonded atoms. These energies are important in MD simulations as they provide insight into the stability and dynamics of a molecular system.

2. How are total and dihedral energies calculated in MD simulations?

Total energy can be calculated using force fields, which describe the interactions between atoms in a system. Dihedral energy is typically calculated using the bond angle and torsion angle of bonded atoms, as well as the force constants and equilibrium positions of those bonds.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of total and dihedral energy calculations in MD simulations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of energy calculations in MD simulations include the choice of force field parameters, the size and shape of the simulation box, and the timestep used in the simulation. Additionally, initial conditions and simulation length can also impact the accuracy of these calculations.

4. Can total and dihedral energies be used to predict the behavior of a molecular system in real life?

While total and dihedral energies can provide valuable information about the stability and dynamics of a molecular system, they cannot accurately predict the behavior of a system in the real world. This is because MD simulations are based on simplified models and do not account for all possible variables and interactions.

5. How can total and dihedral energies be used in drug discovery and development?

In drug discovery and development, total and dihedral energies can be used to evaluate the stability and binding affinity of potential drug molecules to their target proteins. This can aid in the identification and optimization of drug candidates with favorable energy profiles, potentially leading to more effective and safe drugs.