Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
turbo-1 said:
Ghost peppers will be a limited experiment this time around.
One of my work buddies bought 4 of them to try. Three dollars each shipped next day. I didn't try any but those that did said the taste wasn't all that good. They WERE very hot from their looks after eating just a sliver.

Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
The seeds were fine, starter plants when I got them fine, and even with anti aphid soap did NOT make it.
Anti-aphid soap is a joke, as is neem oil.

The only thing I've found that works is Ortho Max. Even better if you can find it is Ortho Rose and Garden.

I once had a small corner of my garden infested with aphids. So borrowed my daughter's mosquito net (it used to be used as part of a rather elaborate room decoration, not so much for mosquitoes) and draped it over the infected plants.

I bought a small container of ladybugs, and released them under the mosquito net. After 24 hours I removed the net. The plants weren't totally clear of aphids but at least they were a lot healthier for the rest of the summer.

lisab said:
I once had a small corner of my garden infested with aphids. So borrowed my daughter's mosquito net (it used to be used as part of a rather elaborate room decoration, not so much for mosquitoes) and draped it over the infected plants.

I bought a small container of ladybugs, and released them under the mosquito net. After 24 hours I removed the net. The plants weren't totally clear of aphids but at least they were a lot healthier for the rest of the summer.
My habaneros and jalapeños succumbed to aphids. Surprisingly, the ladybugs finally showed up only to go into hibernation for the winter. I suspect we have thousands of ladybugs under the siding of the house. Some manage to get into the house - and die. I found one and put it on a pepper plant, but it seemed to have disappeared.

It's interesting that aphids showed up at the end of the season, just when I started to bring the peppers inside.

The jalapeños did very well, but the habaneros weren't very productive this season. It was too cool.

I want to try Bhut jolokia next season.

I was also hit unbelievably hard by aphids when I decided to pull some of my peppers in. I good spray with ortho max and zero aphids the next morning.

I've found that Sevin works just a good as anything for aphids. I buy the liquid concentrate. Just a dab will do ya.

First thanks for your suggestion Evo, I will try the Ortho Max as suggested for aphids.
Lisab, I may try the mosquito net/lady bug bomb if I get hit with them in addition, have a net for camping anyway, may as well put it too good use.

I just ran a search and came up with a link, http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.growing.tips.html" . Seems like I did everything the author said NOT to do last year. I used peat pots, and tap water, both no-no's and watered too much, contributing to fungus after seedlings came up. Only distilled water and recommended potting mix. I will correct this year. The author shows plant vigor in a few pictures and recommends, the following mix for peppers, Miracle Grow Orchid Mix and Organic choice, this produced the best results in his experiment. He recommends bone meal, which I shy away from (Mad Cow disease has been linked to it), to be safe I probably won't use that. My growing conditions were adequate last year, hopefully with this combination I/we will have better luck.

One more thing I learned last year was that bhut jolokia plants do not produce fruit if plant is kept above 95% F. Second, cross pollination occurs when the pollen is diluted with other pepper species in the area. Where I got my seeds they keep them isolated and under cover, so the plants are as potent as they can be.

Below is what I am told is the hottest sauce you can buy 1,500,000 scovile units...
Da Bomb, The Final Answer... just in case pepper growing is a flop next year.
I haven't tried it, pricey, and I can do better locally than the 35$ they are asking on-line for it. I apologize if someone already posted this picture. I didn't check the entire thread.

May I suggest we report back to this thread in the spring/early summer to update on our success or failures and the methods used ?

Thanks...

Rhody

[PLAIN]http://i50.tinypic.com/2mhc09g.jpg[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
2j9k6u.jpg

I said I would report back in the spring/early summer in the event that my attempt at growing these nasty little ghost peppers failed, well, I got an early Christmas windfall and bought a 2 oz bottle of "Da Bomb" and just for comparision, a larger bottle of Spontaneous Combustion, see pic above.

I went to the manufacturer's website, http://www.originaljuan.com/all_about_hot/" to measure the potency of the capsaicin in the sauce.

If you open the manufacturer's link, and scroll about half way down the page you will find a product called "The Source" rated at 7.1 million Scoville units, they list a price of $ 116.45. Are you kidding me ! Isn't this about the rating of military mace ? Sorry, I will pass on "The Source"...

In any event a taste test was conducted with "Da Bomb" with 2 co-workers, both who enjoy hot sauce. We dipped a pointed toothpick into the stuff, about the length of the tip of a dull pencil, wiped most of the excess off, then placed it on the center of our tongues. To me, the stuff smelled like some expensive fancy ink.

The hot took about two minutes to take full effect and lasted about 10 to 15 minutes. It is VERY HOT. Next, we tried Spontaneous Combustion and used ten times the amount and it was no big deal.

We used a minute amount and got a good effect, so a small drop or two in chili or other large dish will provide a nice bite. Pretty cost effective, at that rate the two ounce bottle should last a very long time. I can't imagine a few drops of the stuff slowly rolling down your throat through, we absorbed it with our tongues. I think that would have been tough to bear. BTW, a good potent crop of bhut jolokia peppers will register around one million scoville in comparision.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Good luck if you decide to try it. I will report on flavor/hot with the bhut jolokia peppers if successful this summer.

Rhody...

I had a friend send me this and thought I would share the product (or chemical compound) versus scoville units with you. You can google the names of the providers if you want and order any of the products listed below. It is interesting to note that "hotness" appears to be a niche market and only supplied by a small number of vendors listed here:

I know of one PF member who claims to have tasted sauce in the 8 million range. One can only imagine... Not for me. I will stick with the Da Bomb sauce for now, have bhut jolokia plants/seeds on order http://green2995.stores.yahoo.net/bhjoseandpl.html". For those planning to order plants, now is the time, because suppliers sell out . I found this out last year the hard way, by beginning of March, all the plants are gone. Good luck if you decide to try it.

Rhody...

The Scoville scale is a measure of the 'hotness' of a chilli pepper or anything derived from chilli peppers, i.e. hot sauce. The scale is named after Wilbur Scoville who developed the test in 1912, for more information see Measuring Chilli Heat.

Scoville Heat Units Chilli Pepper / Hot Sauce
16,000,000 Pure capsaicin and Dihydrocapsaicin
16,000,000 Blair's 16 Million Reserve, from Gardner Resources, Inc.
16,000,000 Blair's 6 A.M., from Gardner Resources, Inc.
13,500,000 Blair's 2005 Halloween Reserve from Gardner Resources Inc.
9,100,000 Nordihydrocapsaicin
8,600,000 Homodihydrocapsaicin and Homocapsaicin
7,100,000 The Source, from Original Juan Specialty Foods
5,500,000 Blair's 5 A.M., from Gardner Resources Inc. - No Longer available
5,300,000 Police grade Pepper spray
4,000,000 Mad Dog 44 Magnum Pepper Extract, from Ashley Food Company, Inc.
4,000,000 Blair's 4 A.M., from Gardner Resources Inc. - No Longer available
2,000,000 Common Pepper spray
1,500,000 - 2,000,000 Blair's 3 A.M., from Gardner Resources Inc.
1,500,000 Da' Bomb The Final Answer, from Original Juan Specialty Food
1,100,000 Blair's Jersey Death from Gardner Resources Inc.
1,001,304 Naga-Bih Jolokia pepper
1,000,000 Cool Million Pepper Extract, from the Poison Pepper Co.
1,000,000 1 Million Scoville Pepper Extract, from Ashley Food Company, Inc.
923,000 The Dorset Naga Pepper, from Peppers by Post
855,000 (reported) The Naga Jolokia pepper (Capsicum frutescens), not confirmed
800,000 Satan's Blood, from Sauce Crafters Inc.
700,000 The Slap Heard Around the World, from Tiguana Flats
600,000 - 900,000 Blair's 2 A.M., from Gardner Resources, Inc.
600,000 Mad Dog 357 with Bullet Keychain, from Ashley Food Company
550,000 Blair's Mega Death Sauce, from Gardner Resources, Inc.
500,000 - 750,000 Dave's Insanity Private Reserve, from Dave's Gourmet (estimated)
500,000 Pure Cap, from Garden Row Foods
400,000 - 500,000 Spontaneous Combustion Powder, from Southwest Specialty Foods Inc.
357,000 Mad Dog 357 Hot Sauce, from Ashley Food Company
350,000 - 577,000 Red Savina habanero (Capsicum chinense Jacquin)
350,000 Marie Sharp's Belizian Heat, from Marie Sharp's Fine Foods, Ltd.
283,000 Blair's Possible Side Effects, from Gardner Resources, Inc.
250,000 Vicious Viper, from CaJohns Fiery Foods
250,000 Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce, from Dave's Gourmet (estimated)
234,000 Da' Bomb Ground Zero, from Original Juan Specialty Foods
225,000 You can't Handle this Hot Sauce, from Peppers
225,000 Not Cool Chocolate Habanero from Bahama Specialty Foods, Inc.
180,000 Dave's Insanity Sauce, from Dave's Gourmet (estimated)
175,000 Predator Great White Shark, from Peppers
150,000 Mad Dog Inferno Reserve, from Ashley Food Company
125,000 Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas, from Crazy Jerry's, Inc.
119,700 Da' Bomb Beyond Insanity, from Original Juan Specialty Food
100,000 - 350,000 Habanero (Capsicum chinense Jacquin)
100,000 - 325,000 Scotch bonnet (Capsicum chinense)
100,000 - 225,000 Birds Eye pepper
100,000 - 200,000 Jamaican Hot pepper
100,000 - 125,000 Carolina Cayenne pepper
95,000 - 110,000 Bahamian pepper
90,000 Mad Dog Inferno, from Ashley Food Company
85,000 - 115,000 Tabiche pepper
75,000 - 80,000 Red Amazon Pepper
75,000 Chile-Today Red Amazon Powder, from Chile Today-Hot Tamale
50,000 - 100,000 Thai pepper (Capsicum annuum)
50,000 - 100,000 Chiltepin pepper
49,250 Blair's After Death Sauce, from Gardner Resources, Inc.
40,000 - 58,000 Piquin pepper
40,000 - 50,000 Super Chile pepper
40,000 - 50,000 Santaka pepper
33,390 Endorphin Rush Beyond Hot Sauce, from Garden Row Foods
30,000 - 49,999 Lottie's Original Barbados Red Hot, from Lottie's Island Flavours
30,000 - 50,000 Cayenne pepper (Capsicum baccatum and Capsicum frutescens)
30,000 - 50,000 Tabasco pepper (Capsicum frutescens)
15,000 - 30,000 de Arbol pepper
15,000 - 29,999 Lottie's Traditional Barbados Yellow, from Lottie's Island Flavours
12,000 - 30,000 Manzano pepper
11,600 El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Habanero, from El Yucateco Salsas Y Condimentos S.A. de C.V.
11,000 Crazy Jerry's Brain Damage, from Crazy Jerry's, Inc.
8,910 El Yucateco Green Chile Habanero, from El Yucateco Salsas Y Condimentos S.A. de C.V.
7,000 - 8,000 TABASCO® brand Habanero Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Company
6,000 - 23,000 Serrano pepper
5,790 El Yucateco Red Chile Habanero, from El Yucateco Salsas Y Condimentos S.A. de C.V.
5,000 - 10,000 Hot Wax pepper
5,000 - 10,000 Chipotle, a Jalapeño pepper that has been smoked.
3,600 Cholula Hot Sauce, from Casa Cuervo S.A. de C.V.
3,400 El Yucateco Chipotle Hot Sauce, from El Yucateco Salsas Y Condimentos S.A. de C.V.
2,500 - 8,000 Santaka pepper
2,500 - 5,000 Jalapeño (Capsicum annuum)
2,500 - 5,000 Guajilla pepper
2,500 - 5,000 Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Company
2.085 FRANK'S® REDHOT® XTRA Hot, from Reckitt Benckiser Inc.
1,500 - 2,500 TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Company
1,200 - 2,400 TABASCO® brand Garlic Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Company
1,500 - 2,500 Rocotilla pepper
1,000 - 2,000 Passila pepper
1,000 - 2,000 Ancho pepper
1,000 - 2,000 Poblano pepper
747 Texas Pete®, from T.W. Garner Food Co.
700 - 1,000 Coronado pepper
600 - 1,200 TABASCO® brand Green Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Company
500 - 2,500 Anaheim pepper
500 - 1,000 New Mexico pepper
450 FRANK'S® REDHOT® Original, from Reckitt Benckiser Inc.
400 - 700 Santa Fe Grande pepper
100 - 600 TABASCO® brand SWEET & Spicy Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Company
100 - 500 Pepperoncini, pepper (also known as Tuscan peppers, sweet Italian peppers, and golden Greek peppers.
100 - 500 Pimento
0 Sweet Bell pepper

I'd like to find out where my Habanero relish (made of Caribbean Reds) falls on the scale. After processing, boiling, and reducing, it has a rich taste, an immediate burn, and a delayed burn that will leave you sweating. My neighbor (a fan of some of my hot stuff) and my younger brother have never asked for refills. I'm the only one eating habanero relish around here. The last two years have been crap for gardening, so hopefully I can get a decent yield this season and can a nice batch.

I need to try some of these you guys are posting. I ran out of Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce which wasn't too bad. I bought some new stuff that is made from habenjeros and says "one drop will do."

Sadly this stuff is less hot than Tabasco Sauce. :(

My wife brought home some salsa that proudly claimed the "habanero" status on the label. It isn't as hot as our tomato-based jalapeno salsa. Consumer beware.

I don't pursue heat for the sake of heat, but I love gardening and I love cooking and canning, so it is pretty natural to want to see what I can pull off with my produce. Some of my habanero sauces are 'way too hot to be used as anything but ingredients in more complex dishes, but they are indispensable to my spaghetti and pizza sauces, and are the critical component to the marinade that I season and baste my grilled jumbo tiger shrimp with. Even people who say they have trouble with "hot" foods keep coming back. I can't afford to supply large family get-togethers with these - they go too fast, and the shrimp is $$$.

turbo-1 said:
I'd like to find out where my Habanero relish (made of Caribbean Reds) falls on the scale.

From google search, "Dried samples of Caribbean Red measured 445000 Scoville units" link: http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot.htm"

turbo-1 said:
I don't pursue heat for the sake of heat.

I agree with Turbo-1 here. I prefer to incorporate the stuff into recipe(s), (there are lots in this thread, I will try some) and experiment until I find a few that work for me.

Cooking (sauces, etc...) , combining is like physics in a way, a lot of thought, experimentation, creativity (no calculations... lol) and insight sometimes produces surprising rewards...

Rhody...:tongue2:

rhody said:
I agree with Turbo-1 here. I prefer to incorporate the stuff into recipe(s), (there are lots in this thread, I will try some) and experiment until I find a few that work for me.

Cooking (sauces, etc...) , combining is like physics in a way, a lot of thought, experimentation, creativity (no calculations... lol) and insight sometimes produces surprising rewards...

Rhody...:tongue2:
Re: creativity - Some of my "recipes" were quite accidental, and some needed a lot of trial-and-error. It took me many batches of pizza sauce to get the right combination. In contrast, my spicy shrimp marinade was a hit on the first go. My wife had bought a pound of jumbo tiger shrimp on sale and said that I should come up with a way to spice them up. I whipped up what I thought would be a nice marinade, and the next day, I grilled them in a "clamshell" wire basket while basting them with the left-over marinade. The two of us ate a pound of grilled shrimp in just a couple of minutes and my wife said "NEVER change that recipe". I had to write down the ingredients, so I would remember what I put in the marinade. There are no measurements on the "recipe" - I just go by feel, and it always comes out great.

yeah, I just saw that 'oooooo, it's sooooo good' guy giving a recipe for a raspberry and jalapeno recipe--an odd mix

turbo-1 said:
My wife brought home some salsa that proudly claimed the "habanero" status on the label. It isn't as hot as our tomato-based jalapeno salsa. Consumer beware.
Dang turbo. I sure hope this summer is better. Having to resort to the store bought stuff must be hard.

dlgoff said:
Dang turbo. I sure hope this summer is better. Having to resort to the store bought stuff must be hard.
My brother gave my wife that salsa after he tried it and found it was still too hot for him. He has started having stomach trouble with very hot foods - at least I don't have to keep him supplied. I still have jars of green habanero relish, jalapeno relish and tomato-based salsas in the pantry, so I don't have to eat the store-bought stuff. Since I'm the only one eating the habanero relish, it will easily last through the next season.

Still, I hope for a good growing season this year. The last two have been too cool, cloudy and wet.

Grrrrrr...

I have to report sadly that for a second year, after acquiring a very good grow light, combined with a heat mat, the best soil, not over-watered, (even used a moisture meter) see http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html" , that after about 2 weeks my starter ghost pepper plants slowly faded and died. They had no aphids, no fungus. The only thing I can determine is that the air and soil temperature must be 80+ during the day and early evening. Our house is kept cool, 60's during the day so I am blaming that as the cause. Even with a heat mat and grow light, maybe the air temps really matter too.

Anyone trying to grow these things should be aware of this because the seeds are not cheap, and it takes 20 to 30 days just to get them to germinate. If anyone has had luck growing healthy ghost (bhut jolokia) pepper seedlings, please report back.

My next tactic is to construct a 2 foot by 3 foot container and put in a 40 watt bulb about 1/2 way up, cut a few strategic holes in the box and keep a light indirect breeze from a fan on it. I will put in a thermometer, and see if I can somehow manage to keep the temp between 80 - 85 degrees. First, I have to germinate more seeds, not an easy task in itself, which takes 20 to 30 days for them to sprout.

One neighbor who I gave a few seeds to try last year, got a couple small plants, less than 8 inches high, no fruit. So I know it's not just me.

Turbo, Astronuc, anyone following this thread (27 of you have posted here), any advice would be appreciated.

Rhody...:frown:

rhody said:
Turbo, Astronuc, anyone following this thread (27 of you have posted here), any advice would be appreciated.

Rhody...:frown:

My advice: Beg Turbo for peppers.

If it's any consolation, I bought starter peppers last year...nothing, not even a bloom. They died at the end of the summer, the same wimpy size as when I planted them.

rhody said:
Do you have access to really sunny warm spaces? If so, you should start your chili peppers and tomatoes in peat pots and set the plants (pots, roots and all) into the ground. You'll need to water the new sets heavily to encourage the break-down of the peat pots. Peat and manure break down slowly, and help your plants get nutrients steadily and constantly. Go organic!

lisab said:
My advice: Beg Turbo for peppers.

If it's any consolation, I bought starter peppers last year...nothing, not even a bloom. They died at the end of the summer, the same wimpy size as when I planted them.

Good Advice lisab.

However, in this case I think there is something completely different and unique about these hot pepper plants. I am going to e-mail the guy who sold them to me and ask his advice. Maybe it is something entirely different than what I am thinking. He is the expert and grows them for a living, so he should know. I will report back if there is something I missed.

Rhody...

turbo-1 said:
Do you have access to really sunny warm spaces? Go organic!

Hi Turbo, yes I have sunny, but not (warm) spaces, like I said in my post, we leave our house in the 60's while away at work during the day, so if I wait till the temp's do rise to reasonable levels indoors, mid late May, it will be too late to grow these little suckers. I am using all organic's as recommended by the link I posted as well. There is something I am missing, good luck to you if you try growing these things.

Rhody...

After contacting the seller of my ghost peppers I am beginning to believe I "geeked" :redface: them to death. The seller was sympathetic, is sending me two new plants (for free), and mentioned that he has never had customers have success using "grow lights", he didn't say anything about temperatures in the 60's during the day. I mentioned the heat mats and using purified (boiled water) and he replied he uses tap water and no mats. So instead of constructing a box with a 40 watt light inside, I am going to transplant them in some miracle grow orchid mix, then put them in a sunny south window as is.

I started some regular peppers and flowering plants, with success. Hopefully I will be able to get some hot peppers this season, and am planning to give a few seeds to friend's to see how they grow.

Rhody...

rhody, the information that I got from an agricultural program at a university in New Mexico has convinced me that I can't grow ghost peppers in Maine. They had trouble getting those peppers to produce. If I have perfect conditions, I can grow flaming-hot habaneros, but even they need heat, lots of sun, and rather dry soil. The soil should also be organic (peat and manure release nitrogen very slowly) because chemical fertilizers release nitrogen too quickly, and can encourage foliage while discouraging flowering/fruiting.

turbo-1 said:
they need heat, lots of sun, and rather dry soil. The soil should also be organic (peat and manure release nitrogen very slowly) because chemical fertilizers release nitrogen too quickly, and can encourage foliage while discouraging flowering/fruiting.

turbo,

Yeah that's what I noticed with the last ones, I have organic fertilizer, (maybe I used too much, too soon if that is possible), maybe I kept them too wet too. I am also told that if you don't hand pollinate them, you won't get fruit, (they say to use an artist's brush to do it). I have another friend who grows hot peppers (habenaro's), and he swears by using fish heads, I don't know if that will work or not. I gave him a few of my seeds to try.

Aphid and fungus are one thing to deal with, getting them to grow is another. Maybe that explains why you never see them in the markets around here. If the commercial growers can't grow them, then who can.

BTW, giving infinitesimal samples of my hot sauce to a number of people, I would say there is a "hidden demand" out there about 1 in 5 people can stand the hot stuff and say they would actually buy it, or use the peppers (if they could grow or buy them) which are two thirds as hot. I was amazed to say the least. I have sent a few people a link to this thread on where to buy the seeds and hot sauce.

Rhody...

turbo-1 said:
rhody, the information that I got from an agricultural program at a university in New Mexico has convinced me that I can't grow ghost peppers in Maine. They had trouble getting those peppers to produce. If I have perfect conditions, I can grow flaming-hot habaneros, but even they need heat, lots of sun, and rather dry soil. The soil should also be organic (peat and manure release nitrogen very slowly) because chemical fertilizers release nitrogen too quickly, and can encourage foliage while discouraging flowering/fruiting.
turbo, I'd be glad to grow you some and overnight them to you. I've always loved a challenge.

Evo said:
I've always loved a challenge.

Evo,

If you succeed, (and I hope you do), promise to share your method with the rest of us.
Pleaseeeee...

Rhody... :biggrin:

rhody said:
Evo,

If you succeed, (and I hope you do), promise to share your method with the rest of us.
Pleaseeeee...

Rhody... :biggrin:
If I succeed, do you need some too? It's going to depend on the weather here.

Pepper Joe's sounds like a good source.

http://www.pepperjoe.com/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.pl?page=seeds.html

Oh dear, don't look at their peter pepper. :blushing:

Evo said:
If I succeed, do you need some too? It's going to depend on the weather here.

Evo,

Thanks for the offer, I will live or die by my own sword on this, not a macho thing or anything, just going to keep trying to find the right mix of things to get it right, good luck though, (I think you will need it unless you live in the deep south).

I just took a quick look at your link for seeds, compared with my supplier, mine (Ted the owner) seems to be more reasonable. http://green2995.stores.yahoo.net/bhjoseandpl.html"

Rhody...

OK, I have been able to successfully start regular peppers, and choleus plants.

They are doing just fine, so I know it's not me somehow sabatoging the plants.

The seller from Florida is having cold weather so her hasn't shipped the plants he promised yet. To date my ghost peppers (2nd batch) have not germinated, but I haven't given up hope.

I am going with Turbo's suggestion of fertilizing only with organic (mild acting) fertilizer's.

Just curious, Evo, did you order and start any ghost pepper seeds ?

If so any luck so far...

Rhody...

Evo said:
turbo, I'd be glad to grow you some and overnight them to you. I've always loved a challenge.
Thanks, but like Rhody, I'm going to try to find a way around the difficulties. I intend to see what kind of luck I have starting all my own tomatoes, chilies, and sweet peppers from seed in my mini-greenhouse this year. If all goes well, I will start a few ghost chilies next season, transfer them to large pots and leave the containers in the greenhouse to keep the plants as warm and dry as I can. Even with the roof vents (louvered windows) open, I doubt that I'll get any natural pollination in there, so it'll have to be done by hand. My major concern this year will be to get enough produce out of my garden spot to supply my wife and me, AND the neighbor who gave me his garden spot for my garlic. I just checked, and the mulch straw over the garlic is snow-free. We are forecast to get warm rainy weather this weekend, so both of us are a bit concerned that our garlic might sprout too soon and then get hit with very cold weather. Despite the current warm spell, there is still plenty of Maine winter just waiting to happen. His garlic patch is even bigger than mine and it is in a sunnier spot, so the threat of early emergence is greater.

Once things dry up enough, I'm going to help my neighbor build the new addition on his house (adding a second big family-room and bedrooms for his grand-kids). He'll be too busy to garden this year, which is why I'm going to try to keep them in fresh produce this summer.

It all worked out very well. My garden was all torn up by heavy equipment while the new septic drain-field was installed, so he gave me his garden spot to plant my garlic in. I used the open access to my own garden spot to amend the soil, till it, and expand the garden a bit, so I should be able to keep his family well-supplied with produce if the weather cooperates.

Evo said:
Can't place peppers out until May. I may order the seedlings if I can find anyone that will eat them.

Dave's has a ghost pepper hot sauce.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PQTYN2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Evo,

One thing to keep in mind, ghost peppers take 20 - 30 days to germinate, then another 120 - 160 days to produce fruit so keep that in the back of your mind. That's why I try to start mine early.

Here is some info I found on when to start them based on region:

REGIONAL GROWING RECOMMENDATIONS

Region Start in Green House To Garden Recommendation

Hawaii Dec. 1- April 30 Dec. 15- June 15 Full sun, avg water, protected from wind, no salt air

Northeast April 20 June 1 Full sun, avg. water

Mid-Atlantic March 1-April 15 April 15-June 1 Full sun, avg. water

Southeast/Gulf Coast March 1 April 15-30 Full sun, avg. water, require mulching in early summer

Upper Midwest April 1 May 20 Full sun, avg. water. Use floating row covers to prevent crossing

Southwest n/a March 15-May 5 Full/partial sun, avg. water

Central West Coast Feb 1 April 1 Full sun, avg. water

Rhody...

Evo said:
Can't place peppers out until May. I may order the seedlings if I can find anyone that will eat them.

Dave's has a ghost pepper hot sauce.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PQTYN2/?tag=pfamazon01-20
According to the first Amazon review, that sauce contains hot pepper extract (capsaicin) so I'm not too impressed by Dave's entry into the market. I can make sauces hotter than most mortals can stand using only my Savina/Carribean habaneros, as long as the weather cooperates and I get a decent crop. I still have a lot of green habanero chili relish jarred up, but I haven't gotten a decent crop of ripe habaneros for a couple of years due to the cold, wet summers. (Fingers crossed!) I need to make a big batch of the red relish if I can manage to get enough mature, ripe chilies.

BTW, I highly recommend Hungarian Wax chilies! They produce prolifically, even in sub-standard conditions that stunt other chilies, and they are quite large and lend themselves to stuffing with meats, sauces, cheeses. They are milder than jalapeno chilies, so that even people who don't like hot stuff will at least try the stuffed peppers. They are also wonderful in stir-fries. I may plant a late planting of snow-peas, so that we've got pods coming in at about the same time as the Hungarians are ripening. Saute the pods and sliced chilies in peanut oil with onions, garlic, some fresh ground ginger, and meat of your choice and serve over a bed of steamed Basmati rice. Heaven!