Hi Could anyone of you post here a link to a webpage that actually

• Thread starter dobry_den
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi Link
In summary, a screw is a device that is used to fasten two pieces of wood together. It is made out of a bolt with a small post that acts as the thread and a hole with a helical groove cut in it. When torque is applied to the screw, the helical groove causes the bolt to rotate. This rotation causes the post to rotate and the hole to move, which fastens the two pieces of wood together.
dobry_den
Hi! Could anyone of you post here a link to a webpage that actually describes how a torque (of a screw) is transformed into a force that acts in the direction of the screw's axis, that makes is to screw in? Or could you briefly explain it? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean like.. what makes the screw to go down, to screw in. After I thought about it, I came up with this idea. When I rotate the "head" of the screw, the shaft (the lower part) rotates as well. Since a part of the shaft is already in the wood (where the thread has made a groove), the groove acts against this rotation - reacting with a force F. This force acts on an inclined plane (the thread) and it is possible to decompose it into two forces, F1 and F2. And it is the force F1 that makes the screw to screw in the wood (see the attached drawing).. Is this the appropriate explanation?

Attachments

• screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 456
dobry_den said:
I mean like.. what makes the screw to go down, to screw in. After I thought about it, I came up with this idea. When I rotate the "head" of the screw, the shaft (the lower part) rotates as well. Since a part of the shaft is already in the wood (where the thread has made a groove), the groove acts against this rotation - reacting with a force F. This force acts on an inclined plane (the thread) and it is possible to decompose it into two forces, F1 and F2. And it is the force F1 that makes the screw to screw in the wood (see the attached drawing).. Is this the appropriate explanation?

inclined plane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclined_plane

helically warped, but that is essentially what a screw is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw

Last edited:
Yep, I know, so do you think that my drawing is correct?

dobry_den said:
Yep, I know, so do you think that my drawing is correct?

I would say you're pretty close. I think you need the equivalent of a "normal" force that is perpendicular to the angled thread. It gets pretty hard to get your head around the helical screw thread, so I did a quick analysis of a much simpler screw, which consists of a bolt with a small post that acts as the thread and a hole with a helical groove cut in it.

The results of the free body diagram confirm the result you get from a "work balance" analysis:

Fvert = 2*pi*T/d

Where Fvert is the vertical force, T is the applied torque, and d is the thread pitch.

This analysis ignores friction, which is a huge simplification. Hope this helps...

Attachments

• screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 482

1. What is the purpose of the webpage you are requesting?

The purpose of the webpage requested is likely to provide information or resources related to a specific topic or question.

2. Can you provide more details about the specific content you are looking for?

In order to find the most relevant webpage for your needs, it would be helpful to provide more details about the specific content or information you are looking for. This could include keywords, subject matter, or specific questions you are trying to answer.

3. Is there a specific format or type of webpage you are looking for?

The format of the webpage (e.g. article, blog post, video, etc.) may depend on the type of information you are seeking. It may be helpful to specify if you are looking for a specific type of webpage.

4. Are there any specific criteria the webpage should meet?

If there are any specific criteria that the webpage should meet, such as credibility, reliability, or accuracy, it would be helpful to specify these in your request.

5. Can you provide any context or background information for your request?

Providing context or background information for your request can help others understand the purpose of your search and provide more relevant suggestions for webpages.