Homework help forum previewing annoyance

• Thread starter awvvu
  • Start date
In summary, there is a bug in the homework help template that causes it to repeat when clicking "preview post" while posting in the homework forums. While it is a minor annoyance, there is currently no easy fix for this issue. Administrators Greg Bernhardt and chroot may be able to address this problem, but for now, users can simply delete the extra template after previewing. Some users have suggested editing the post without previewing again, but this may not work. Overall, it is important for users to use the homework help template for their questions, even if it means dealing with this bug.
awvvu
Clicking "preview post" while posting in the homework forums appends the homework help template every time it's clicked. I preview often to check my latex, and it's a minor annoyance for this to happen. There must be an easy way to fix this, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I always wondered why some people had copies of the template at the bottom of their posts...

I guess this is a bug.

Its already known about. I don't know if Greg or chroot can do anything about it. Just delete the extra template after previewing.

G01 said:
Hmm. I always wondered why some people had copies of the template at the bottom of their posts...

So have I!

awvvu,

I am powerless to do anything about this, but either of our Admins can look into it. If either Greg Bernhardt or chroot doesn't respond to this thread, try tapping them on the shoulder with a PM.

Kurdt said:
Just delete the extra template after previewing.
I don't think that works, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

neutrino said:
I don't think that works, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Astronuc had a fiddle about with it when it was first brought up, and that was his suggestion.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=183989

I suppose most new users, don't realize they can edit a post, or they're not really bothered by it.

It's a bug in the template coding that repeats the template when doing a preview. For now, one simply deletes the redundant steps (1., 2., 3.) and then posts without previewing again.

Hmm well the HH template is a simple "template" hack. To fix the preview bug would likely move it to a code hack and I'd rather avoid that.

I think that if it results in more people using the template for their homework questions then it is worth the few seconds spent deleting the repeat. :smile:

What is a "Homework help forum previewing annoyance"?

A "Homework help forum previewing annoyance" is a common issue that arises when students post their homework questions on a forum and receive responses from other users that do not actually provide helpful answers or solutions.

How can I avoid experiencing a "Homework help forum previewing annoyance"?

To avoid this annoyance, it is important to carefully read the rules and guidelines of the forum before posting your question. Additionally, you can try to be more specific and detailed in your question to attract responses from users who are actually knowledgeable in the subject matter.

What should I do if I encounter a "Homework help forum previewing annoyance"?

If you encounter this annoyance, the best course of action is to politely thank the user for their response and ask for clarification or a more helpful answer. You can also report the user to the forum moderators if their response is blatantly unhelpful or disrespectful.

Why do some users respond with unhelpful answers in homework help forums?

There could be various reasons for this. Some users may not have the necessary knowledge or expertise to provide a helpful answer. Others may simply be trolling or trying to annoy others. It is important to remember that not everyone on the internet has good intentions.

Is there a better alternative to using homework help forums?

There are many alternative options for seeking help with homework, such as tutoring services, study groups, or reaching out to your teacher or classmates. It is always best to exhaust these options before turning to online forums, as they may be more reliable and helpful.