Why is Proper Training Important in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

• Thread starter dratsab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the participants' love for jiu-jitsu and other combat sports like judo, wrestling, and kickboxing. They discussed the physical demands and benefits of these activities, as well as their personal experiences and training. They also shared videos and encouraged each other to try different forms of grappling, emphasizing the importance of training in a gym rather than self-training.
dratsab
Here is a video of me sparring with my friend, I'm the one in long hair:

I'm self-trained, never been to a dojo, just do it for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I love jiu-jutsu, it's key to many practical fighting systems.

The dojo I go to teaches modified Brazillian jiu jitsu - they call it grappling. Two minute sparring bouts leave me feeling like I've just sprinted a mile without breathing! It's great, I love it.

I love Judo. BJJ is also great but as a sport is not as spectacular as Judo. An good throw is something to behold =)

lisab said:
The dojo I go to teaches modified Brazillian jiu jitsu - they call it grappling. Two minute sparring bouts leave me feeling like I've just sprinted a mile without breathing! It's great, I love it.

Wresting, be it BJJ or Greco-Roman is probably one of the most demanding activities possible. I performed G-R wrestling in high-school when I moved to the USA, and that makes Jiu Jutsu seem moderately tame by comparison. You train for hours and hours a day for that stamina, but if you are already in good shape it is a marvelous way to coordinate and develop the whole musculature.

Of course, BJJ is very useful in some fights, whereas G-R provides foundations, but is to a fight what fencing is to real swordplay.

DanP said:
I love Judo. BJJ is also great but as a sport is not as spectacular as Judo. An good throw is something to behold =)

I am 6'2"... I was tired of tiny people hip-tossing me in a half spin, so I gave Judo a rest for the sake of my hips and spine. It is amazing to behold, but no fun at all to experience. Going back to Krav Maga however, you never get away from the basic tenants of Judo... much like body control in G-R wrestling, or locks and grips in JJ, and footwork in monkey Kung Fu

5'11'' , and just shy of 200 lbs. A decent build for Judo. I enjoy it. Besides, my city is a very strong Judo center, one of the best in Romania, so it's kinda a tradition around here. Most kids going in combat sports here go into Judo. Second most popular is boxing.

Btw, some awesome newaza from some guys in Rio de Janeiro, from the legendary Mehdi academy, pretty nice to see:

http://www.youtube.com/user/loudenvier#p/u/32/ym1HTjXLD1c

DanP said:
5'11'' , and just shy of 200 lbs. A decent build for Judo. I enjoy it. Besides, my city is a very strong Judo center, one of the best in Romania, so it's kinda a tradition around here. Most kids going in combat sports here go into Judo. Second most popular is boxing.

Btw, some awesome newaza from some guys in Rio de Janeiro, from the legendary Mehdi academy, pretty nice to see:

http://www.youtube.com/user/loudenvier#p/u/32/ym1HTjXLD1c

Wow, that is terrific stuff. Thanks for the link! It is people like you btw, who kept tossing me to the mat. Darn your lower centers of gravity! ;)

IcedEcliptic said:
Wow, that is terrific stuff.

Id wish to see more stuff from Mehdi's academy. The guy is legend. Supposedly he is the one who said that Gracies emphasise ground fighting because they ""don't know how to throw".
There are a lot of no holds barred / bjj legends which spent time with Mehdi, like Rickson Gracie, Behring brothers, Mario Sperry, Murillo Bustamante.

Glad we got some Jiu Jitsu fans! I put up some more Jitsu videos btw.

Excellent, I'll go and have a look. Thanks :)

That's awesome! I love jiu-jitsu although I've never done it. My brother is currently training and practicing so it's cool to see him actively engaging in a hobby. It's really a growing sport right now! Love watching MMA, too!

Yeah, I'll be getting the UFC game next month, can't wait. Not a fan of the submission system though, ugh. If anyone has Xbox Live add me: OCdratsab, it'd be fun to face you guys.

I really enjoy it, I practice Jiu-Jitsu and kickboxing. A great way to relieve stress.

I do brazilian Jiu jitsu. Been doing it on and off for 2 years now. I train at a renzo gracie affiliate school and man i love it. My mind is constantly on bjj and the team atmosphere is amazing. Everybody has a common goal there. To get better in bjj. We can all relate so we help each other out. It's literally like my 2nd family. I'll be spending my whole summer there doing bjj and kettle bell.

Here's a great video showcasing the difference between a black belt and a purple belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkonXj4tlFY&feature=player_embedded

Also, dratsab, seriously get yourself to a gym now. Do any sort of grappling like wrestling or judo. Atleast that will get your foot in the water for REAL GRAPPLING. DON'T SELF TRAIN. There's a huge difference between someone who actually goes to the gym and self training yourself.

1. What is Jiu-Jitsu?

Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art and combat sport that originated in Japan. It focuses on ground fighting and uses techniques such as joint locks, chokes, and takedowns to control and defeat opponents.

2. Is Jiu-Jitsu suitable for everyone?

Yes, Jiu-Jitsu is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. It is also a great form of self-defense for both men and women.

3. What are the benefits of practicing Jiu-Jitsu?

There are many benefits to practicing Jiu-Jitsu, including improved physical fitness, increased self-confidence, and better self-defense skills. It also promotes discipline, focus, and mental toughness.

4. Do I need any prior experience to start practicing Jiu-Jitsu?

No, you do not need any prior experience in martial arts or fitness to start practicing Jiu-Jitsu. Most schools offer beginner classes and have a curriculum that caters to all levels.

5. Are there different styles of Jiu-Jitsu?

Yes, there are different styles of Jiu-Jitsu, such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, and Judo. Each style has its own techniques and rules, but they all share the same core principles of ground fighting and self-defense.