Simple question regarding the Ah rating of a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the discharge capabilities of a 12V 7.2 Ah battery and its relationship with current and time. While theoretically the discharge rate is linear, in practice it may only last for a shorter amount of time due to factors such as voltage sag and the battery's age.
motivehunter
Hi all!

Excuse the simple nature of this question, but I'm a mechanical engineer working on building his own PAS bicycle and need to understand this to go ahead with my work.

I understand that a 12V 7.2 Ah battery ideally discharges 7.2 ampere of current at a nominal voltage of 12V for 1 hour. But in reality, it is only capable of doing this for 45 minutes.

So am I correct in assuming that as the battery is an SLA (sealed lead-acid), if the application demands 20A, it will deliver the current at nominal voltage for 16.2 minutes? I mean, is this relationship linear?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The concept of ampere-hours does lead you to expect that. But in practice, the heavier the current, the less realistic that is. From a 7.2AH battery you may get only 6 to 10 minutes at 20A before the voltage sags too low to be useful.

Thank you so much!

In theory its linear yes, again just like NascentOxygen said it will drop too much after 10 minutes which makes it useless. If the manufacturer says it discharges that in 1 hour in practice you need to consider less than that, probably even less than 45 mins. It also depends on the battery's age.

Hello!

As a fellow engineer, I completely understand the need for clarification on technical details. To answer your question, yes, the relationship between the Ah rating of a battery and its discharge time is linear. This means that if the application demands 20A, the battery will deliver the current at nominal voltage for approximately 16.2 minutes. However, it's important to note that the actual discharge time may vary depending on factors such as temperature and the battery's age. It's always best to consult the manufacturer's specifications for more accurate information. Best of luck with your project!

1. What does the Ah rating of a battery mean?

The Ah rating of a battery stands for ampere-hour rating and it refers to the amount of charge that a battery can deliver over a period of time. It is a measure of the battery's capacity and is usually listed on the battery label.

2. How is the Ah rating determined for a battery?

The Ah rating of a battery is determined by measuring the current that the battery can deliver for a specific period of time before it reaches its minimum voltage. This measurement is usually done under controlled conditions and the Ah rating is calculated by multiplying the current by the time.

3. Does a higher Ah rating mean a longer battery life?

Not necessarily. The Ah rating only indicates the capacity of the battery, but the actual battery life will depend on various factors such as the device it is used in, the usage patterns, and the temperature. A higher Ah rating may provide longer battery life, but it is not the sole factor.

4. Can the Ah rating of a battery be increased?

No, the Ah rating of a battery is determined by its physical size and chemistry. It cannot be increased by any external means. However, you can choose a battery with a higher Ah rating if you need longer battery life for your device.

5. Is the Ah rating the only important factor to consider when buying a battery?

No, the Ah rating is just one of the factors to consider when buying a battery. Other important factors include the voltage, chemistry, and compatibility with your device. It is important to choose a battery that meets the specific requirements of your device for optimal performance.