Partition function as a description of the system

In summary, the system is coupled to a reservoir and the density matrix is$$ρ=\frac{e^{-β\hat{H}}}{Z}= \frac{1}{Z} \left(\begin{array}{cc}0&e^{-a/2}\\e^{-a/2}&0\end{array}\right) +\frac{1}{Z} \left(\begin{array}{cc}e^{-b/2}&0\\0&e^{b/2}\end{array}\right) =\frac{1}{Z} \left(\begin{array}{cc}e^{-b/2}&e^{
phys_student1
Hi,

Let, $$\hat{H} = a\hat{S_x} + b\hat{S_z}$$where Sx,Sz are the spin operators, a,b constants. Assume the system is coupled to a reservoir.
For clarity, Let $$\hbar=\beta=1$$ The density matrix is
$$ρ=\frac{e^{-β\hat{H}}}{Z}=
\frac{1}{Z} \left(\begin{array}{cc}0&e^{-a/2}\\e^{-a/2}&0\end{array}\right) +
\frac{1}{Z} \left(\begin{array}{cc}e^{-b/2}&0\\0&e^{b/2}\end{array}\right) =
\frac{1}{Z} \left(\begin{array}{cc}e^{-b/2}&e^{-a/2}\\e^{-a/2}&e^{b/2}\end{array}\right)$$
And $$Z=tr(e^{-β\hat{H}})=2\cosh{\frac{b}{2}}$$
The partition function is a description of the statistical properties of the system. But here it is ignorant to the fact that H also contains Sx part. The constant 'a' does not come into play at all. How, then, can we depend on Z to derive our statistical functions for the system?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how ##\exp(-\beta \hat{H} )## is equal the thing you have written out on the right hand side. When there is an exponential of a matrix, you need to write it out as the Taylor series of an exponential, where each term will contain the matrix, to some power.

This will give an infinite series, which is not something that is usually 'nice'. But you can use the properties of the Pauli matrices to get a 'nice' answer. This is not obvious if you have not been shown how to do this problem before.

Likes 1 person
Also, the calculation of the trace doesn't look right. The trace is supposed to be taken over the space of eigenfunctions of your solutions. That has nothing to do with the trace of spin matrix. For instance, a harmonic oscillator doesn't have spin matrix at all but it has an infinite number of eigenstates. the trace is taken over that infinite space.

Likes 1 person
Your computation of [itex]e^{-\beta H}[/itex] isn't correct, I don't think.

An easy way to compute [itex]e^{-\beta H}[/itex] is to first figure out how to diagonalize [itex]H[/itex]. That is, you find some matrix [itex]U[/itex] such that [itex]U H U^{-1} = D[/itex] where [itex]D[/itex] is a diagonal matrix, with entries [itex]\lambda_i[/itex]. (Those [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] are just the eigenvalues of [itex]H[/itex]) Then:

[itex]e^{-\beta H} = U^{-1} (e^{-\beta D}) U[/itex]

Now, one of the magical properties of the trace is that for any matrices [itex]A, B, C[/itex],

[itex]tr(A B C) = tr(B C A)[/itex]

So
[itex]tr(e^{-\beta H}) = tr(U^{-1} (e^{-\beta D}) U) = tr(e^{-\beta D} U U^{-1}) = tr(e^{-\beta D})[/itex]

Computing [itex] e^{-\beta D}[/itex] is easy: it's just a diagonal matrix with entries [itex]e^{- \beta \lambda_i}[/itex]. The trace of a matrix is just the sum of the diagonal entries, so

So [itex]tr(e^{-\beta H}) = tr(e^{-\beta D}) = \sum_i e^{-\beta \lambda_i}[/itex]

For the particular [itex]H[/itex] that you're talking about, I believe it's true that the two eigenvalues are:

[itex]\lambda_1 = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_2 = - \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex]

So [itex]tr(e^{-\beta H}) = e^{-\beta \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}} + e^{+\beta \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}} = 2 cosh(-\beta \sqrt{a^2 + b^2})[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Yes I think I missed up things while trying to use Latex.

stevendaryl said:
An easy way to compute [itex]e^{-\beta H}[/itex] is to first figure out how to diagonalize [itex]H[/itex].
oh wow, that's a much easier way than I was suggesting. and much more general, than just relying on the nice properties of the spin matrices. I'll keep that in mind. the sad part is that I probably learned that not so long ago, but had forgotten about it already!

What is the partition function?

The partition function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the state of a thermodynamic system. It is a sum of all possible states and their corresponding probabilities, allowing for the calculation of thermodynamic quantities such as energy and entropy.

How is the partition function related to the thermodynamic properties of a system?

The partition function is directly related to the thermodynamic properties of a system through the use of statistical mechanics. From the partition function, other thermodynamic quantities such as energy, entropy, and free energy can be calculated.

What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a central concept in statistical mechanics as it allows for the calculation of thermodynamic quantities and provides a link between microscopic and macroscopic properties of a system. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a system at different temperatures and in different phases.

How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible states of a system and their corresponding probabilities. The specific formula for calculating the partition function varies depending on the system and the properties being measured.

What are the limitations of using the partition function to describe a system?

One limitation of the partition function is that it assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium. It also assumes that the interactions between particles in the system are weak. Additionally, the partition function may not be applicable to systems with complex interactions or non-equilibrium conditions.