Simulation of Compressed Air Driven Piston

In summary, the process begins with a hammer striking a valve to open the seal. This can be modeled as a collision over time and a series of forces (force of hammer, force of spring sealing valve and force of air pressure inside valve):Force (change with time) = mass * acceleration (change with time)Then simply conserve momentum over time:Valve --- Kg m/s (change with time) ---> <--- Kg m/s (change with time)--- HammerNet force <--- Kg m/s (change with time) --->Determining how long the valve will stay open is basic speed = distance /time.
mmcc
I am writing a MATLAB script that generates a dynamic simulation of a piston being driven by compressed air. My starting values for pressure and volume are as follows:

P0 = 14000000; %nm-2 or 140 Bar
V0 = 0.005; %m3 or 500cc

The simulation needs to be quite detailed and must take into account the following factors:

1. Force required to open the valve (assume hammer type)
2. Duration valve will remain open
3. Flow rate from valve and change over time
4. Expansion into transfer port over time
5. Force imparted to piston
6. Account for inertia and friction to move piston
7. Expansion into cylinder over time
8. Velocity, mass and force of air over time

I am looking for the necessary formulas to achieve the above goals.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose this is a lot to ask in one post, but I have made a start on this. I will run through the sequence of events and describe the formulas I have, or have identified so far.

The process begins with a hammer striking a valve to open the seal. This can be modeled as a collision over time and a series of forces (force of hammer, force of spring sealing valve and force of air pressure inside valve):

Force (change with time) = mass * acceleration (change with time)

Then simply conserve momentum over time:

Valve --- Kg m/s (change with time) ---> <--- Kg m/s (change with time)--- Hammer
Net force <--- Kg m/s (change with time) --->

Determining how long the valve will stay open is basic speed = distance /time. We can calculate the velocity using the conservation of momentum:

Force (Valve - change with time) + Force (Hammer - change with time) = Mass (Valve) + Mass (Hammer)
Mass / Force (change with time) = velocity (change with time)

We can then calculate the distance the valve seal will move and compare that with size/volume of the valve opening.

This then leads to air rushing into the valve and where the equation begin to become complex. I think I can model this as a flow through an orifice. As such, I have identified the following formulas (MATLAB comments):

Code:
% Density of air
%
% Assumed to be:
% 1. Sea level 
% 2. 15 °C
%
% d = p /Rs T
% where:
% d = air density (kg/m3)
% p = absolute pressure (nm-2) - 101325
% T = absolute temperature (K) - 288.15
% Rs = specific gas constant for dry air is 287.058 J/(kg·K)
%
% d = 101325 / (287.058 * 288.15)
% d = 1.2249781262066510570904764201612 kg/m3
%
% Air Velocity
%
% v = 278.27 * (Math.sqrt(static pressure / Atmospheric density)
% v = 278.27261838130327370844581361742 * (Math.sqrt(13999999 / 1.225)
% v = 940,724.26425592028024204853937945 m/s
%
%v = 278.27 * (Math.sqrt(13999999 / 1.225)
%
%
% Flow through Orifice
%
% Q = Cd A [2 #p /Ad] ^ 0.5
% where:
% q = Flow rate (m3/s)
% Cd = Discharge coefficient
% A = surface area of opening (m2)
% #p = Pressure difference (change with time)
% Ad = air density

My question at this point is, can I model this as a flow through an orifice? If so, how do I determine the 'Discharge Coefficient' without experimental data?

Then how do I deal with the geometry of the transfer pipe between the valve and cylinder? What if it had a 90 degree turn, rather than being just a straight tube?

Finally, I notice that effects can be back-propagated in this system. Does this change any of the formula in any way?

1. How does compressed air drive a piston?

Compressed air is used to drive a piston by creating pressure that pushes against the piston, causing it to move in a linear motion. The compressed air is stored in a tank and released through a valve, creating a force that moves the piston.

2. What are the advantages of using compressed air to drive a piston?

Compressed air is a clean and efficient energy source that does not produce emissions, making it environmentally friendly. It also allows for precise control of the piston's movement and can generate a high amount of force, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

3. What are the limitations of using compressed air to drive a piston?

One limitation of using compressed air to drive a piston is that it requires a constant supply of compressed air, which may not be readily available in all locations. Additionally, compressed air systems can be noisy and require regular maintenance to prevent leaks.

4. How is the simulation of compressed air driven piston helpful in design and testing?

The simulation of compressed air driven piston allows for the evaluation and optimization of various design parameters such as piston size, air pressure, and valve timing. This can help in identifying the most efficient and effective design before physically building and testing a prototype.

5. What are some real-world applications of compressed air driven pistons?

Compressed air driven pistons have a wide range of industrial and commercial applications, including pneumatic tools, air compressors, HVAC systems, and transportation systems such as trains and buses. They are also used in medical equipment, food processing, and robotics.