Troubleshooting Resistors in Series/Parallel Circuits

• Thread starter donjt81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary: R1---*---R2---*---R3---*. . . . The current through each resistor is the same.parallel means two common nodes. *---R1---*| . . . . . .|*---R2---*| . . . . . .|*---R3---*| . . . . . .|In the second example the common nodes are at the 'same' potential, so the voltage across each resistor is the same, and currents may be different
donjt81
I have a picture attached. Hopefully you guys are able to see it. The question is asking the following:

Find the equivalent resistance Req between points A and B of the resistor network.

I know you have to use the resistors in series/parallel approach. but which of these are in parallel and which are in series. I am having a hard time with these type of question where you have to figure out which resistors are in series/parallel. is there a general rule that i need to follow?

please help

Attachments

• dig.bmp
    60.3 KB · Views: 589
Physics news on Phys.org
Series means that there is one common node - i.e. components are end to end, e.g.
*----R1---*---R2---*---R3---*. . . . The current through each resistor is the same.

Parallel means two common nodes.

*---R1---*
| . . . . . .|
*---R2---*
| . . . . . .|
*---R3---*

In the second example the common nodes are at the 'same' potential, so the voltage across each resistor is the same, and currents may be different if R1, R2 and R3 are different.

'Series' implies same current, and 'Parallel' implies same voltage.

donjt81 said:
I have a picture attached. Hopefully you guys are able to see it. The question is asking the following:

Find the equivalent resistance Req between points A and B of the resistor network.

I know you have to use the resistors in series/parallel approach. but which of these are in parallel and which are in series. I am having a hard time with these type of question where you have to figure out which resistors are in series/parallel. is there a general rule that i need to follow?

please help
To work this out, start at the right end and work toward the left.

The last 3 resistors are in series and equivalent to one resistor of 40 ohms. It is in parallel with the 24 ohm resistor. So you can determine the resistance of the right four resistors. (15 ohms). That is in series with the 34 and 21 ohm resistor so those 3 are equal to 70 ohms. So you have a 70 ohm resistor in parallel with a 30 ohm resistor which works out to 21 ohms.

AM

1. What is the difference between resistors in series and parallel?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected one after the other, creating a single pathway for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side by side, creating multiple pathways for current to flow. This results in different overall resistance values for the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

The total resistance of resistors in series is equal to the sum of each individual resistor's resistance. This can be calculated by using the formula: Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

3. How do you calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

The total resistance of resistors in parallel can be calculated using the formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... Once you have the sum of the reciprocals of each resistor's resistance, you can then take the reciprocal of that sum to find the total resistance.

4. What is the purpose of using resistors in series/parallel?

Resistors in series are used to increase the overall resistance in a circuit, while resistors in parallel are used to decrease the overall resistance. This allows for more control over the flow of current in a circuit and can also help to balance the amount of current flowing through each component.

5. Can you mix resistors in series and parallel in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of resistors in series and parallel in the same circuit. This allows for even more control over the resistance and current flow in a circuit, but it is important to calculate the total resistance carefully to ensure the circuit functions properly.