What is the change of speed over time?

In summary, the conversation discusses various formulas related to velocity, acceleration, and speed in physics. These formulas include s = ut + \frac{1}{2} at^2, v = u + at, v^2 = u^2 - 2as, v_{average} = \frac{s}{t}, and a_{average} = \frac{v - u}{t}. It is also mentioned that there may be additional formulas and some may need to be rearranged depending on the situation.
pavadrin
2day i started a new topic inj physics and there were a few terms which i am unsure of. if velocity is the change of displacement over time, and acceleration is the change of velocity, and if speed is the change of distance over time, what is the change of speed over time? also i have come across a few formulas for this topic, these formulas are listed below
[tex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]

[tex]v = u + at[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = u^2 - 2as[/tex]

[tex]v_{average} = \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a_{average} = \frac{v - u}{t}[/tex]

are these all the formulas that are required for this topic or are there more? i understand that in some cases they may need to be rearanged.
many thanks,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate of change of speed with respect to time is often termed acceleration, although I do not care for its use. The the formulae you list are valid for constant acceleration in kinematics (except the average acceleration as that obviously can be used universally). The formulae are all that are required for basic kinematics however, there is a further formulae, [itex]s = \frac{1}{2}(u+v)t[/itex], that may be useful but it is derived from the above formulae.

thanks Hootenanny for the relpy and additional formula :smile:
Pavadrin

pavadrin said:
thanks Hootenanny for the relpy and additional formula :smile:
Pavadrin
My pleasure :smile:

1. What is speed?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How is speed measured?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

3. What is meant by "change of speed over time"?

This refers to the acceleration of an object, which is the change in speed over a certain period of time. It can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

4. Why is it important to measure the change of speed over time?

Measuring the change of speed over time allows us to understand how an object's velocity is changing and can help us predict its future motion. It is also a key component in studying the laws of motion and the forces acting on an object.

5. How can we calculate the change of speed over time?

To calculate the change of speed over time, also known as acceleration, we can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.