EE or CE: Making a Major Decision in my 2nd Year

• Thread starter budala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, someone says take one you like the most, how would I know which one I like the most if I never worked in that field? It would be hard to know which major you like the most if you have never worked in that field.
budala
I really don't know which major to take; Electrical E or Computer Engineering? When someone says take one you like the most, how would I know which one I like the most if I never worked in that field.

I am in my common 2nd year of EE/CE. After this year I have to declare my major, please what to do? Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much do you like to program? Seems like that would be the first question to ask. I choose EE mainly because I don't like programming that much.

kdinser , I really don't like programming that much either, but I do like mathematics, and microprocessors so far it is just intro, this is my 3rd semester.

Since you aren't a fan of programming, I would say that EE would be best for you. Howver, as a CE you probably wouldn't do whole lot of programming, but you would still have to take at least a couple of programming classes which could be very annoying, personally. Specially if they require to take take a class on compilers which, I think, is the hardest part of being a CE.

Any idea about jobs; same difficulties, and can EE work as CE and vice-versa?

My undergrad degree was in a combination EE/CS, so I got both hardware and software classes. And although my MS is in EE, I took several software classes in my MSEE year. I use both skills in my work daily, as well as a combination of them in architectural design issues for whole systems. I am happy doing all hardware for extended periods of time, but I get antsy if I have to write code for long periods of time. There are plenty of EEs here at my work that code 100% of the time, so it's just what you like. If you're not a big fan of architecting and writing software, though, I would think it would be a mistake to pursue the CS degree.

What part of EE are you interested in? Digital design or analog?

Find out more about EE branches.

Read up "RF design"

RF can be extremely addictive for some people.

You will be doing a lot of programming as CE, but not the kind of programming your use too, its going to be in Hardware description languages, such as VHDL or Verilog most likely and also assembly (not hardware description). IF you want to stay away from all kinds of programming then yes EE is the way to go.

If your interested in pipelining and processor design like making your own ALU, if that seems fun to you, you will like being a CE.

Last edited:
EE and CE are very, very hard and very similar programs, no matter which one you choose to finish everything depends where will you get a job.
CE is more stressful, a nerve wrecking job, IMO.

I don't see EE and CE as being very smilliar programs at my school anyways. A CE takes 3 more EE courses than a Computer Scientist. Other than that, the courses are exactly the same. I'm still a CE major right now but will be switching to Computer Science and the only course I have to take to switch is to pick up a 2nd language.

I looked at all the higher level 400 courses and the CE takes the same courses as the CS. The only difference is the CS can't take a course in VLSI design/data com/image processing because it requires EE310.

http://www.psu.edu/bulletins/bluebook/courses/cse.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between EE and CE?

The main difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Computer Engineering (CE) is the focus of each field. EE primarily deals with the design and study of electrical systems and devices, while CE focuses on the design and development of computer systems and hardware. Both fields involve a combination of mathematics, physics, and computer science, but the specific applications and skills required differ.

Which major has better job prospects?

Both EE and CE have strong job prospects, as they are highly sought after in industries such as technology, telecommunications, and renewable energy. However, the demand for CE graduates is currently growing at a faster rate due to the increasing reliance on technology in various industries. Ultimately, the job prospects for each major may depend on individual skills and interests, as well as the current job market.

Can I switch majors from EE to CE or vice versa?

In most cases, it is possible to switch majors from EE to CE or vice versa within the same department or college. However, this may depend on the specific requirements and policies of your university. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the feasibility of switching majors and to understand the potential impact on your academic progress.

Which major is more challenging?

Both EE and CE are challenging majors, as they require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. For example, if you have a strong aptitude for computer programming, CE may be a more suitable and less challenging option for you.

What career opportunities are available for EE and CE graduates?

EE and CE graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in software development, hardware design, telecommunications, renewable energy, and many more. These majors provide a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills, making graduates highly sought after in various industries. It is important to research and understand the specific career paths and job opportunities available within each major before making a decision.