Looking for Free Perfboard Designer Software?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a freeware software program for doing stripboard/perfboard layouts. Some suggestions were offered such as using PCB fab companies that offer free software for simple layouts. It was also suggested to do a floorplan by hand and use the schematic for documenting interconnects when working with perfboard.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any freeware software programs for doing stripboard/perfboard layouts. For the time being, I've been sticking with breadboards (which work great), but I'm ready to make circuits that are more robust, compact, and permanent. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean PCB layouts? Or some tool to help you document how you are going to hand-wire ICs and components that you are soldering onto 0.100" prototype boards with plated-through holes?

For PCB layouts, there are some PCB fab companies that offer free software to do simple layouts that they will fab in small numbers for you for a reasonable cost. For 0.100" perfboard layouts, I usually just do a floorplan by hand, and use the schematic for documenting the interconnects. Highlight each connection on the schematic as you make each connection, and you'll be okay staying organized.

Yeah I was referring specifically to the perfboard. Thanks for the tip.

What is perfboard designer software?

Perfboard designer software is a computer program that allows users to design and layout electronic circuits on perfboards, which are commonly used for prototyping and testing electronic circuits.

What are the key features of perfboard designer software?

The key features of perfboard designer software include the ability to add and arrange components, create and edit connections between components, import schematic diagrams, and generate a bill of materials for the circuit.

Is perfboard designer software suitable for beginners?

Yes, perfboard designer software is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, making it suitable for beginners who are new to designing electronic circuits.

Can I export my circuit design from perfboard designer software to other programs?

Yes, most perfboard designer software programs allow users to export their designs in various file formats, such as PDF or Gerber files, which can be opened in other programs for further analysis or production.

Are there any free perfboard designer software options available?

Yes, there are some free perfboard designer software options available, such as Fritzing and DIYLC, which offer basic features for designing electronic circuits on perfboards.