How Old Is Adam? Crack the Brainteaser with Our Help!

• Thread starter Coreeeey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a brain teaser involving two people, Marty and Adam, and their ages. The teaser is to determine Adam's age based on the given information. Through the discussion, it is determined that Marty is currently 24 years old and that he was twice as old as Adam when Marty was as old as Adam is now. After some calculations and reasoning, it is concluded that Adam's age is 12.
Coreeeey
OK...a friend of mine sent me this brain teaser and I haven't been able to crack it...I'm starting to think that maybe he made it up himself and there is no possible solution...to me its a dead end unless there's something I'm missing...I even tried googling it and found nothing...so here it is...

Marty is 24 years old. Marty is twice as old as Adam was when Marty was as old as Adam is now. How old is Adam?

If you know the answer or figure it out...post it here or pm me. :rolleyes:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let me think... 18?

When Marty was 18, Adam would have been 12.

Yep. That works.

and how did you guys come up with that answer? Adam was 12 when Marty was as old as Adam is now. There is not enough information

Code:
M2

A2     M1

A1

We have:
M2 = 24
A2 = M1
M2 - A2 = M1 - A1
M2 = 2*A1

Plenty of information.

-Job- said:
Code:
M2

A2     M1

A1

We have:
M2 = 24
A2 = M1
M2 - A2 = M1 - A1
M2 = 2*A1

Plenty of information.
yea as i posted that i was thinking the age differential is preserved

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for brainteasers?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills for brainteasers is to practice regularly. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and brainstorming different solutions. Additionally, seeking out resources and tips from others who excel in solving brainteasers can also be helpful.

2. What strategies can I use to solve difficult brainteasers?

Some strategies that can be helpful in solving difficult brainteasers include using logic and reasoning, eliminating incorrect options, and thinking outside the box. It can also be helpful to approach the problem from different angles and to take breaks if you feel stuck.

3. How do I know if I am on the right track when solving a brainteaser?

If you are unsure if you are on the right track when solving a brainteaser, try checking your work and thought process with a friend or colleague. You can also try going back to the instructions or clues provided and see if your solution aligns with them. Sometimes, it may also be helpful to take a step back and reassess the problem before moving forward.

4. Are there any techniques I can use to solve brainteasers faster?

One technique that can help solve brainteasers faster is to look for patterns or similarities in the problem. This can help you narrow down potential solutions and make the problem more manageable. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with different types of brainteasers can also help you solve them faster.

5. How can I avoid getting stuck on a brainteaser?

To avoid getting stuck on a brainteaser, try to approach the problem with a positive and open mindset. Avoid getting too fixated on one solution and be willing to try different approaches. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective if you feel stuck.