Is there a way to hold government accountable for using exclusive file formats?

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format
In summary, Warren is complaining about how the people above him in the administration of his place send him documents in formats he does not want to use. He also suggests that there may be an easier way to complain about this issue.

Must I pay for official/legual public information ?

• No, it should be free

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh no ! Not another poll...

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other (please explain) / Don't care / Feeling asleep

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
humanino
Hey guys,

I would appreciate your opinions on the following (to me, very annoying) issue.

Some people above me in the administration of this place keep sending me emails, with documents I must read, in a format I do not want to use. You probably understand, or even are familiar with this. I mean, there is one format which is defined as being "portable document format" which everyone can use without ever having bad surprises, or "unexpected features".

Then later today, as I was searching for official public information our governements must provide to us the people, bang once again a proprietary format which I cannot read without buying an expensive software, which I do not trust anyway... This really not fair. It does not really matter what exactly this was I was searching on the web (I was trying to figure out how they spend the money I give them for taxes :biggrin: I guess they spend it buying bugged software :tongue2:) but the principle revolts me.

Is there not an official way to complain about that, not going to legual action ? What do you think ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can complain, but I doubt it will do much good. What format are you talking about? You can get free, open-source viewers for pretty much any format in existence.

- Warren

chroot said:
What format are you talking about? You can get free, open-source viewers for pretty much any format in existence.
I have installed them. However
  • those kind of documents are insanly huge for the content they have
  • the document I tried to open earlier would not open with the version I have

You could probably just call them and have them send you the documents via mail, or fax.

- Warren

chroot said:
You could probably just call them and have them send you the documents via mail, or fax.
Indeed that would work. But what I need is a good old ASCII table, which I can play with how I like. If I get this information printed, I will have to copy collumns of budget figures... in the end, I would actually give up :cry:

I will update my free software, hopefully that will do.

Evo said:
humanino, have you tried this database for searches?

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/
I did not know this. Thank you very much for this great link :smile:

But what I am looking at right now is not scientific, is the way the french governement spends my money I had an argument with a friend of mine, and I thought it would be good to actually look at it with numbers instead of just disagreeing on the basis of opinions :rolleyes:

What format should I use for my research paper?

The most commonly used format for research papers is the American Psychological Association (APA) style. However, it is important to consult with your professor or institution to determine if they have a specific format requirement.

What are the differences between MLA and APA formats?

MLA (Modern Language Association) and APA (American Psychological Association) are two of the most popular citation styles used in academic writing. The main difference between them is the way they format in-text citations and the reference list. MLA uses parenthetical citations while APA uses author-date citations. Additionally, MLA is commonly used in the humanities while APA is used in the social sciences.

Can I use a different format for my research paper?

While APA is the most commonly used format for research papers, some fields may require different formats such as Chicago or Harvard style. It is important to check with your professor or institution for specific guidelines and requirements.

What is the purpose of using a specific format for my research paper?

The use of a specific format helps to ensure consistency and accuracy in citations and references. It also allows readers to easily locate and verify the sources used in the research paper. Additionally, it demonstrates proper academic writing and research skills.

What resources can I use to learn how to format my research paper?

There are various resources available to help you learn how to format your research paper, including online guides, style manuals, and writing centers. Your professor or institution may also provide specific guidelines and resources for formatting your paper.