Help with Newtonian Mechanics & Fluids for Game Programming

In summary, Siddharth explained that a fluid has a viscosity, which is measured in Pa*s. He also said that a gradient is a needed idea and that mathematically, it is a slope that shows how fast a change in a quantity is happening. He also said that Newton's partial differential equation for Newtonian fluids means in words that it is a mathematical equation that describes the movement of fluids. Lastly, he said that tao is the Greek letter that stands for eta*partial derivative(u) of y.
GoldPheonix
Hey, I'm working on programming a Newtonian mechanics engine (not as part of coursework, btw, for a game that I'm making).

I have some problems, however, as to how to approach fluid mechanics. I know a little bit: buoyant forces, specific gravity, and such. However, I just do not get the more complex (and hence what I need to program) equations and math for viscosity, Newtonian fluids, and such.

Could someone help me understand the basic nature of the following? (I have up to a calculus II knowledge and I know pretty much all of basic, general physics)

1. Sheer stress
2. Fluid viscosity constant --why is it in Pa*s?
3. Can someone give me a good idea of what a gradient is? I understand that mathematically it's a needed idea, and I get the concept of the partial derivative decently well (Though a little help there would be nice, too).
4. What does Newton's partial differential equation for Newtonian fluids mean in words? What does tao signify? (tao = eta*partial derivative(u) of y)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is usually taught as a separate semester long course, so I think it'd be hard to give a sufficiently deep and broad reply to your questions in a single thread.

If you're learning it for the first time, you'd be much better off reading a book on fluid mechanics from your library. I'd suggest the book on fluid mechanics by Frank M White

Not asking for in-depth stuff, just the very basics of the things asked.

You might find the http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fluid.html" [Broken]webpage on fluid mechanics useful. Still, I strongly suggest that you'd read a fluid mech book, especially for the basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw their entry on it, but I still don't get all the variables, what they mean, et cetera.

Wiki has the content, just not the explanation for the content.And thanks for the diagram, siddharth, it looks like their explanation will help me a bit.

Last edited:

What is Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of bodies under the influence of forces. It is based on the three laws of motion proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

Why is Newtonian Mechanics important for game programming?

Newtonian Mechanics is important for game programming because it allows for the realistic simulation of physics in virtual environments. This can enhance the overall gaming experience and make the game more immersive.

What are some common applications of Newtonian Mechanics in game programming?

Some common applications of Newtonian Mechanics in game programming include calculating the trajectory of projectiles, simulating collisions and impacts between objects, and creating realistic movement and motion for characters and objects in the game.

What are the key differences between Newtonian Mechanics and the laws of motion in classical mechanics?

The key differences between Newtonian Mechanics and the laws of motion in classical mechanics lie in the scope of their application. While classical mechanics deals with macroscopic objects and their motion, Newtonian Mechanics is also applicable to objects at the atomic and subatomic level. Additionally, classical mechanics does not account for the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics, which are incorporated in Newtonian Mechanics.

What is the role of fluids in game programming and how does Newtonian Mechanics apply to them?

In game programming, fluids are often used to simulate realistic environments and effects such as water, smoke, and explosions. Newtonian Mechanics can be applied to fluids to calculate their behavior and interactions with other objects in the game. This can result in more accurate and lifelike simulations in the game.