Simple battery question - which one to use?

• Thread starter 9988776655
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, if you want the motor to run at its fastest possible speed, you should use setup 1, which uses a 6-volt lithium-manganese photo battery.
My circuit powers a motor which draws about 2A of current out of my 12V lead acid battery.
12V is too much. So I want to change the battery setup.
I want the new battery setup to last as long as possible.
If I continuously use the motor which setup will last the longest?

1) one 6V lithium-manganese photo battery @ 1.5 Ah

or

2) four 1.5V C sized batteries each @ 8.35 Ah connected in series to make 6V

If I use setup 2, will my motor have access to more current?
I know that the motor can only draw current as fast as the chemical reaction takes place in the batteries.

Will setup 2 make my motor go faster than setup 1?

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Ah" refers to the energy content of the battery, not the batterys internal resistance, which is what you need to know to answer your question.

Quiz question. What is the general internal resistance of a LiMg battery vs (guess NiMh) C cell?

The lead acid 12-volt battery your talking about has a much greater current capacity, than either of the others you listed.
You need only 6-volts? There are plenty of 6-volt lead acid batteries available, and not much larger than 4-5 decks of playing cards.

Or you could stay with the 12V lead-acid car battery for the power source, and just use a 12V-to-6V DC-DC converter to make your output for the motor. You could build it yourself (like out of the National Instruments Simple Switcher series, using the Buck Converter configuration), or you can just buy a pre-made unit (I googled 12V to 6V converter, and got lots of hits).

BTW, this is just too funny. One of the first hits on that Google search was for a 12V to 6V converter, that "Allows a 6-volt wiper motor to work with a 12-volt electrical system."

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5754

It's a freaking power resistor! :rolleyes: OMG! :rofl:

1. What are the different types of batteries available?

There are several types of batteries available, including alkaline, lithium, nickel-metal hydride, and lead-acid batteries. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it's important to choose the right type for your specific needs.

2. How do I know which battery is the right one to use?

The best way to determine which battery is right for your device is to check the manufacturer's recommendations. The device's manual or packaging will usually specify which type and size of battery is recommended for optimal performance.

3. Can I mix different types of batteries?

No, it is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in the same device. Doing so can cause damage to the device and may even be dangerous. Always use the same type and brand of batteries as recommended by the manufacturer.

4. How long do batteries typically last?

The lifespan of a battery depends on various factors, such as the type of battery, the device it is used in, and the usage patterns. Generally, alkaline batteries last 5-10 years, lithium batteries last 10-12 years, nickel-metal hydride batteries last 2-3 years, and lead-acid batteries last 3-5 years.

5. How should I dispose of old batteries?

It is important to dispose of old batteries properly to protect the environment. Many communities have designated recycling centers for batteries. You can also check with your local government for guidelines on how to dispose of batteries safely.