Current and potential difference, simplifying circuit diagrams

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with resistors and the task of finding the current and potential difference at each resistor. The formula V=IR is mentioned and the table provided shows the known values for the first two resistors and the unknown values for the last three. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and a suggestion to check the formula from a textbook.
verytired
[SOLVED] current and potential difference, simplifying circuit diagrams

Consider the circuit shown in Figure P31.69, in which RA = 25 and RB = 7 . Tabulate the current through, and the potential difference across, each resistor.

Figure P31.69

resistor current (A) potential difference (V)
4 2 8
RA (25 ) 16/25 16
6 ?? ??
RB (7 ) ?? ??
24 ?? ??

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out. I know this:

V=IR

For parallel, Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ...
For series, Rtotal = (1/R1 + 1/R2+...) ^-1

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• physics.gif
    physics.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 912
Physics news on Phys.org
please clarify the meaning of your table. Specifically what do the numbers in parenthes mean?

verytired said:
For parallel, Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ...
For series, Rtotal = (1/R1 + 1/R2+...) ^-1

Check the formula from your textbook.

Sorry to be unclear about the table, I didn't realize it would show up like that.
The resistor is given in the attached picture. I'm suppose to find the current and potential difference at each resistor. I've found them for the first two resistors, but I'm having trouble with the last three.

resistor --- current (A) ---- potential difference (V)
4ohms ------ 2A --------------- 8V

25ohms --- 16/25A ------------- 16V

6ohms ------- ?? --------------- ??

7ohms ------- ?? --------------- ??

24ohms ------ ?? --------------- ??

1. What is current and potential difference?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge, while potential difference refers to the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit.

2. How do you calculate current and potential difference?

Current is calculated by dividing the amount of charge flowing through a circuit by the time it takes to flow. Potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that has moved.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current and potential difference?

The unit of measurement for current is amps (A), while the unit for potential difference is volts (V).

4. How do you simplify a circuit diagram?

To simplify a circuit diagram, you can replace series and parallel combinations of resistors with equivalent resistors, remove any unnecessary components, and redraw the circuit in a more organized and simplified manner.

5. Why are circuit diagrams important in understanding electric circuits?

Circuit diagrams are important because they visually represent the components and connections in an electric circuit, making it easier to understand and analyze the behavior of the circuit. They also allow for easier troubleshooting and designing of new circuits.