Light Slowed to 70 Km/h: Causes & Effects

In summary, the speed of light can vary in different mediums, such as water where it is slower than in a vacuum. Various experiments have shown that light can be slowed down to speeds as low as 70 km/h. The cause of this slowing down is due to the movement of photons within the medium. The photons can either bounce around or change speed, which in turn affects the overall speed of light. The reason for this change in speed is due to the interaction of light with the particles in the medium. For more information, you can refer to the FAQ in the General Physics forum.
A.I.
I understand that the speed of light in different mediums (like water) is slower than that of light in a vaccume. I've also read about some expiriments done in which light had been slowed down to a quite imaginable speed, like 70 Km/h. What causes light to slow down in such instances? Is it just bouncing around a lot, or do the photons actually change speed? If the photons chance speed, WHY?!

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to start by reading an entry in the FAQ in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

Ah! Sorry, I'll check that first next time.
Thank you for your help.

Nevertheless A.I. welcome to these Forums and keep asking the questions! :smile:

Garth

1. What is meant by "light slowed to 70 km/h"?

Light is an electromagnetic wave that normally travels at a speed of 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. However, scientists have been able to slow down light to a speed of 70 km/h by using specialized materials and techniques.

2. What causes light to slow down?

Light can be slowed down by passing through materials with a high refractive index, such as glass or diamond. This causes the light waves to interact more with the atoms in the material, resulting in a decrease in speed.

3. What are the effects of slowing down light?

Slowing down light can have various effects, depending on the context. In some cases, it can lead to the bending of light, as seen in optical illusions. It can also be used to store and manipulate information in optical computers. Additionally, slowing down light can help scientists better understand the properties of light and its interactions with matter.

4. Is it possible to slow down light in a vacuum?

No, it is not possible to slow down light in a vacuum. The speed of light in a vacuum is considered to be the maximum speed possible in the universe, according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. How does slowing down light impact the speed of communication?

Slowing down light can have a major impact on the speed of communication. By slowing down light, scientists are able to store and manipulate information, allowing for faster and more efficient data processing. This can lead to advancements in fields such as telecommunications and computing.