Energy in relation to space and time

In summary, Steve and John Gowan discuss the concept of energy and whether it needs space and time to exist. Steve brings up the example of neutrinos, which have been found to have small masses and therefore cannot travel at the speed of light. John Gowan explains that light's position in 4-dimensional spacetime cannot be specified, but this does not mean that space and time do not exist. They also discuss the idea of modeling physics without space and time, but conclude that this is not currently possible.
Stevie B
I'm curious if space and time need to exist for energy to exist? I've tried looking everywhere to see if someone has commented on this idea, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. Any help would be appreciated...

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is the capacity to do work and work is force times distance. I don't see how you could have forces without space and time nor how you could have distances without space. Frankly, I don't know of any physics concept that makes sense without space and time.

Last edited:
Here's what I was thinking and excuse my lack of physics knowledge.

A Neutrino is a just energy in motion, which is a particle but it is just moving at the speed of light and it has no mass. In this scenario, if something has no mass, does it need to exist in a space? Considering my relativity to the neutrino that is traveling at the speed of light, wouldn't traveling at the speed of light be the equivalent to time standing still? Thus something like energy (if I define it as a Neutrino) doesn't need space or time to exist? Or am I missing something?

Steve

Maybe energy is the wrong word that I am using. I am trying to understand if something needs to exist in space and time. From what I gathered, the only thing that can go at the speed of light, is light. Apparently there was some new findings that Neutrinos actually have mass, as small as it may be.

To answer whether light needs to have space or time, I found this site:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/jag8/lightfield.html

John Gowan basically explains that "light's position in 4-dimensional spacetime cannot be specified", as "light has no x (length) or t (time) dimensions".

So it seems that I have to look at photons a little more. To help me a bit, are photons energy?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevie B said:
A Neutrino is a just energy in motion, which is a particle but it is just moving at the speed of light and it has no mass.

Neutrinos do have small masses and therefore must travel at speeds less than light speed. Look up "neutrino oscillations," which have been a major experimental subject during the last several years.

Oops, bad timing jtbell, he said that just a few minutes before you did.

To my knowledge, there is no way of modeling physics without space and time. The closest thing to this I suppose would be loop quantum gravity, which is attempting to achieve background independence. That's not exactly the same as removing time and space from the framework, though.

1. What is the relationship between energy and space?

The concept of space is closely related to energy in the field of physics. Space is often considered as a container in which energy exists and interacts. The presence of energy can bend or warp space, and the movement of particles in space is governed by their energy levels.

2. How does energy affect the fabric of space-time?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that energy and matter can warp the fabric of space-time, creating what we perceive as gravity. The more energy an object has, the more it warps the space-time around it. This is why massive objects like planets and stars have a significant gravitational pull.

3. Can energy travel through space?

Yes, energy can travel through space in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves do not require a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves, making them able to travel through the vacuum of space. This allows us to receive and transmit information and energy through radio, microwaves, and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

4. How does the concept of time relate to energy?

The concept of time is closely related to energy, as energy can affect the flow of time. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the faster an object moves, the slower time will appear to pass for that object. This is known as time dilation and has been confirmed through experiments with high-speed particles.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of energy in the universe?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in the universe is constant. However, the universe is continuously expanding, and the energy within it is constantly being redistributed and transformed, making it difficult to determine an exact limit to the amount of energy in the universe.