Concerning partial derivatives

In summary: This function does not have continuous partial derivatives at (0,0) so is not differentiable there.In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a function, f(x,y), at (0,0). The first partial derivative is found to be 0/0, but using the definition of derivatives, a whole number is obtained. This discrepancy is explained by the fact that the function does not have a continuous extension at the origin. The conversation also explores the concept of derivatives for functions of several variables and the difference between having partial derivatives and being differentiable. It is concluded that this particular function is not differentiable at (0,0) due to its lack of continuous partial derivatives.
naggy
f(x,y) = (2xy)/(x2 + y2), 0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

Now I'm supposed to evaluate this at (0,0). I take the first partial derivative and I get 0/0 but when I use the definition of derivatives I get a whole number. Why the hell is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What "definition" of the derivatives?

That function cannot be given a continuous extension at the origion.

I'm sorry. I'm talking about the definition of derivative, the Newton quotient. Letting the limit go to zero.

lim (f(x+h,y) - f(x,y))/h
(x,y) -> (0,0)

naggy said:
f(x,y) = (2xy)/(x2 + y2), 0 if (x,y) = (0,0)
Now I'm supposed to evaluate this at (0,0). I take the first partial derivative and I get 0/0 but when I use the definition of derivatives I get a whole number. Why the hell is this?
Surely you do not mean "I'm supposed to evaluate this at (0,0)". That's easy: it's 0!

As for the derivatives, I'm afraid I get exactly the opposite result to you.
The derivative with respect to x is taken for y fixed so it is the limit of [f(0+h,0)- f(0,0)]/h= 0. The derivative with respect to y is the same. (If you just "plug in" h=0 you get 0/0 but you know from Calculus I that that happens for any derivative.) The derivative is 0 because f(h,0)= 0 for any h. 0/h= 0 which has limit 0 as h goes to 0. Of course, the same is true the partial derivative with respect to y.

In order that the "derivative" (really the "gradient"), as opposed to the partial derivatives, the limit of [itex][f(x+h_1,y+h_2)- f(x,y)]/\sqrt{h_1^2+ h_2^2}[/itex] must exist as [itex]h_1[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex] go to 0 independently. Since we are talking about (x,y)= (0,0) this is just the same as taking the limit of
[tex]\frac{2xy}{(x^2+ y^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
as (x, y) goes to (0, 0). (I've replaced [itex]h_1[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex] by x and y for convenience.)
Best way to find a limit like that is to convert to polar coordinates:
[tex]\frac{2(r cos(\theta))(r sin(\theta))}{r^3}= \frac{2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta)}{r}[/tex]
which clearly does not exist as r goes to 0.

Why the hell is this?
I suspect that your textbook is trying to convince you that "having partial derivatives" and "being differentiable" are not the same for functions of more than one variable. A function of several variables is "differentiable" at a point if and only if its partial derivatives are continuous at that point.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes with respect to each of its variables individually, which is useful in solving optimization problems and understanding the behavior of complex systems.

3. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to a specific variable, treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or chain rule.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A regular derivative calculates the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one variable at a specific point.

5. In what fields is the concept of partial derivatives commonly used?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables.