Bending stress of beam on flat surface ?

In summary, the speaker is designing a spinal disc with 2 metal endplates that have a rectangular shape and are fixed to form a flat contact surface with the vertebrae bone surface. They are seeking suggestions on how to calculate the thickness of the endplates, which will need to support a compressive force at the center of their length. The best approach for this calculation is to use a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) program, which can simulate the behavior of the endplates and determine the optimal thickness for the design.
cabellos6
I am designing a spinal disc with 2 metal endplates. These endplates are rectangular in shape and are fixed to form a flat contact surface with the vertebrae bone surface.

My question is based on the bending stress of these metal endplates. I need to work out the possible thickness of these endplates. I understand how a beam can be modeled with simple supports, cantilever etc but in this case the endplate is flat pressed against a flat surface so contact is over the whole surface area and it is to support a compressive force in the centre of the endplate length L.

Please could anyone offer me suggestions as to how i could calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to calculate the thickness of the endplates is to use a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) program. This type of software can simulate the behavior of the endplates under different loading conditions and calculate the stresses in each element of the model. By varying the thickness of the endplates, you can determine the optimal thickness for your design.

What is bending stress?

Bending stress is a type of stress that occurs in a beam or other structural element when a load is applied to it, causing it to bend or deform.

What causes bending stress?

Bending stress is caused by an external load or force acting on a beam, causing it to bend and deform. It can also be caused by the weight of the beam itself.

How is bending stress calculated?

Bending stress is calculated using the formula σ = (M * c) / I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the beam, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section of the beam.

What is the maximum allowable bending stress for a beam?

The maximum allowable bending stress for a beam depends on the material it is made of and its cross-sectional shape. Different materials have different strength and stiffness properties, so the maximum allowable bending stress will vary.

How can bending stress be reduced?

Bending stress can be reduced by using stronger materials, increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam, or by adding additional support or reinforcement to the beam. Proper design and engineering can also help to reduce bending stress in a beam.