Roller Coaster Dynamics: Forces at the Top and Bottom of the Track

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in forces experienced at the top and bottom of a rollercoaster or train track. The acceleration of the rider is related to the normal force, which balances gravity and the rider's acceleration. When setting up a problem to calculate the force exerted on a person on the ride, the direction of the v^2/r must be considered, with it being directed towards the center of rotation.
Jason03
Im trying to figure when you have a rollercoaster or train, how are the forces different at the top of tracks compared to the bottom of the tracks.

How does this relate to setting up F=MA...and the Normal Force.

I know at the top you would have a feeling of weightlessness and at the bottom you are pushed into your seat greatly.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't relate to any real forces, it relates to the acceleration of the rider. At the top his acceleration is down, at the bottom it's up. The normal force has to balance both gravity and the acceleration of the rider.

ok, I am setting up a problem that asks for the force exerted on the seat of an 80 kg person. At the top, and at the bottom

So I am using this equ. ( i have r,v, m and g)

F=MA

N-mg = m (v^2/r)

so what would differ for the top and bottom?

The direction of the v^2/r. It's directed towards the center of rotation. At the top, it's down. At the bottom, it's up. You have to keep track of the direction of v^2/r by hand.

ok thanks...i will give that a try

1. How do roller coasters work?

Roller coasters use a combination of gravity and potential and kinetic energy to create a thrilling ride. The initial ascent to the top of the first hill is powered by a motor or chain lift, then the coaster travels along the track, relying on gravity to pull it down and through loops, twists, and turns.

2. What is the role of centripetal force in roller coaster physics?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In roller coasters, it is responsible for keeping the train on the track as it moves through loops and turns. If the centripetal force is too weak, the train may derail, while too much force can cause discomfort for riders.

3. How do roller coasters maintain speed?

Roller coasters maintain speed through the conservation of energy. As the coaster loses potential energy at the top of a hill, it gains kinetic energy as it speeds down the hill. The kinetic energy is then conserved through the rest of the ride, with the coaster losing and gaining potential energy as it goes up and down hills.

4. What is the tallest roller coaster in the world?

As of 2021, the tallest roller coaster in the world is Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey, USA. It stands at a height of 456 feet (139 meters) and reaches a speed of 128 miles per hour (206 kilometers per hour).

5. How do roller coasters ensure rider safety?

Roller coasters have many safety features in place to ensure the safety of riders. These include lap bars, shoulder harnesses, and seatbelts to keep riders securely in their seats. The track is also designed with careful calculations to ensure the forces exerted on riders are within safe limits.