The XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid

In summary, the conversation discusses the XRD pattern of zinc oxide and zinc oxide dispersed in acrylic acid/IPA. The peaks for pure zinc oxide were observed at 31.7, 34.4, 36.2, 47.5, 56.6, 62.9, and 67.9 (2-theta degree), while the dispersed zinc oxide showed peaks at 21.6, 27.2, 32.7, 38.4, 44.1, 50.0, 62.1, and 68.5 (2-theta degree). Concerns were raised about the possibility of polymerization of acrylic acid and the presence of impurities in the AA
justinlee
the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid !

I did XRD analysis of zinc oxide, and its peaks are at 31.7, 34.4, 36.2, 47.5, 56.6, 62.9 and 67.9 (2-theta degree).

further, I did XRD of zinc oxide dispersed in acrylic acid/IPA. but it's weird ! Why I could got some peaks at 21.6, 27.2, 32.7, 38.4, 44.1, 50.0, 62.1 and 68.5 (2-theta degree), but these peaks are totally different from the peaks of pure zinc oxide ??!

Is it cause of the crystalline has been changed or destroyed ?

thanks for your teaching !

Likes Jarvis Wheeler
Engineering news on Phys.org
Two big concerns with the medium:

1. Acrylic acid polymerizes pretty easily upon radiation. I would hardly be surprised if you've now got significant amounts of poly-acrylic acid in the medium, which may be producing the extra peaks.

2. What are the purity levels of AA/IPA?

Likes Jarvis Wheeler
I dispersed ZnO particles in AA/IPA mixture which is 50:50 ratio.

And, I add 0.1g ZnO into 1g AA and 5g IPA, then did polymerization; but i could get the apparent peaks of ZnO particles in XRD analysis (there is no any peak )! that's weird !

Could you have formed an acrylic/zinc soap? When you polymerized the AA did you form a gel or did a solid ppt? If you are isolating a ppt, perhaps the zinc component remains in the IPA?

1. What is XRD and how does it work?

XRD stands for X-ray diffraction and it is a technique used to analyze the crystalline structure of materials. It works by directing a beam of X-rays at the sample and measuring the diffraction pattern produced as the X-rays interact with the atoms in the material.

2. What is the significance of studying the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid?

Studying the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid can provide valuable information about the crystal structure, composition, and purity of the materials. This can help in understanding their properties and potential applications in various fields such as electronics, catalysis, and medicine.

3. How do you interpret the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid?

The XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid can be interpreted by comparing it to known reference patterns and identifying the peaks and their corresponding crystal planes. The position, intensity, and width of the peaks can provide information about the crystal structure, composition, and orientation of the materials.

4. Can the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid be used to determine the phase purity of the materials?

Yes, the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid can be used to determine the phase purity of the materials by analyzing the relative intensities of the peaks. A pure sample will have sharp, well-defined peaks, while impurities or different phases will result in additional peaks or broadening of the peaks.

5. Are there any limitations to using XRD for analyzing Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid?

Yes, there are some limitations to using XRD for analyzing Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid. X-rays have limited penetration depth, so the technique is only suitable for analyzing the surface or thin layers of the materials. It also cannot distinguish between different forms of the same element, such as zinc oxide in different crystal structures.

Back