Can a Physics PhD Land a Quant Job in Finance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting a quant job without a finance degree. It is suggested to reach out to professionals in the field and to consider taking actuarial exams to showcase proficiency. It is also mentioned that self-study in mathematical finance and probability is important for success in the field. The conversation concludes with the advice to start applying for jobs in the field now.
googleveena
Hi
I am doing my phd in physics. I am working on experimental physics. My work involves some numerical analysis using Matlab, and finite element analysis also. I know c/c++ pretty well. I am planning to get knowledge on finance by self study and look for finance jobs after graduation. is it possible to get a quant job without finance degree?
any discussion is appreciated.

thanks
Veen

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet would be to contact the people in the profession. Ask if they'd be willing to meet with you for lunch or let you job shadow them for a day. My guess (which isn't worth much) is that it is possible - although the more experience you have with financial models the better.

This might be a stretch. And, I don't know much about it. But actuaries have been used in a quant capacity. If you are rock solid in probability and financial math you might take a shot at the first couple of actuarial exams. It would be proof to employers that you are capable. Not that your qualifications are not good enough already. But the exams may build a bridge for you.

I think, before the proliferation of professional masters programs in mathematical finance / financial engineering, it was fairly common to hire technical PhDs (in math, physics, engineering, etc.) with no background in finance as quants. Even with that said, it sounds like your background is a pretty good match (programming experience in C++, and it sounds like you have experience in numerical methods for solving PDEs), so with some self study of mathematical finance (from standard books like Hull) and of probability and random processes, I think you could present yourself as an extremely qualified candidate for some quant positions.

It's relatively normal for entry level quants to not have a formal financial background. Although you'll be expected to have a decent self-taught understanding. Assuming to fit all their other requirements (personality, etc) I see no reason you wouldn't be a suitable quant candidate. It'll still ultimately be down to perseverance and luck though, like any job.

From what I've seen, they like to grab you before the end of the PhD though (it's easier to get a job offer whilst you're in the last year of your PhD than afterwards). Round these parts, I've seen them try to get people to give up the PhD and join them straight away, but I've never heard of anyone's quant-type job offer being withdrawn because they said they couldn't start for a few months. And you rise through the ranks quicker with one too.

The key take home point: You need to apply for the jobs now.

Ex1 said:
It's relatively normal for entry level quants to not have a formal financial background.

This is not true anymore. Since so many ppl trying to get into the field, they expects knowledge from john hull

Hi George,
Hoping you'll say hello (I sent you a private message).
Dave Kosokowsky

Ask this question on the wilmott or quantnet forums

1. What is a "Quant job" and how does it relate to physics?

A "Quant job" refers to a job in the field of quantitative finance or quantitative analysis, which involves using mathematical and statistical models to analyze financial data and make investment decisions. Physics students are often sought after for these roles due to their strong analytical and mathematical skills, which are applicable to understanding and predicting complex financial systems.

2. What kind of skills and knowledge do I need to have as a physics student to get a "Quant job"?

To be successful in a "Quant job", physics students should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, statistics, and linear algebra. They should also have a good understanding of financial concepts and markets, as well as programming skills in languages such as Python, R, and MATLAB.

3. Are there any specific courses or certifications I should take to prepare for a "Quant job"?

While there are no specific courses or certifications required for a "Quant job", it is recommended to take courses in finance, economics, and computer science to supplement your physics background. Additionally, there are many online courses and bootcamps available that specifically focus on quantitative finance and can help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge.

4. What types of companies or industries offer "Quant jobs" for physics students?

"Quant jobs" can be found in a variety of industries, including investment banks, hedge funds, asset management firms, and insurance companies. These roles may also be available in non-financial companies that utilize quantitative analysis, such as tech companies or energy companies.

5. What are the career growth opportunities for physics students in "Quant jobs"?

The career growth opportunities for physics students in "Quant jobs" are vast. With a strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking, physics students can advance to more senior roles such as quantitative analyst, portfolio manager, or risk manager. They may also have the opportunity to move into other areas of finance, such as data science or financial engineering.