Color theory:rgb to cmyk detailed mathematical description

In summary, The speaker is looking for a detailed mathematical description of the color theory, specifically the transformations from RGB to CMYK. They have searched online but only found superficial descriptions. They believe there is no single correct way to do the conversion and that it involves tweaking parameters. They also mention that this question should be posted in the Electrical Engineering forum as it is related to signal/image processing.
luxxio
I am looking for a detailed mathematical description of the color theory.
In particular the tranformations from rgb to cmyk.
Who knows where i can find some material?
I googled a little bit but i found only superficial descriptions.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that there is a single correct, cannonical way to do that conversion. There end up being parameters that are tweaked by hand, sometime by the user.

Also, this question should probablyl go in Electrical Engineering.

in what i can guess, this is directly linked to linear algebra.

Well, I suspect they are a set of linear equations but that's only a very elementary part of "linear algebra".

Yeah, clearly the bar has to be a bit higher for calling something "linear algebra," or else the entire engineering subforum would be subsumed into it.

More to the point, this is a signal/image processing question. Signal/image processing is part of electrical engineering. So, putting this thread in electrical engineering should result in the best answers/discussion. Your average reader of the linear algebra subforum probably doesn't know the first thing about color image processing.

What is color theory?

Color theory is a set of principles and guidelines that explain how colors work and interact with one another. It is used to create color schemes and understand the psychological effects of color.

What is the difference between RGB and CMYK?

RGB and CMYK are two different color models used to represent colors in digital and print media, respectively. RGB is an additive color model that uses red, green, and blue light to create a wide range of colors. CMYK is a subtractive color model that uses cyan, magenta, yellow, and black ink to create colors on printed materials.

What is the mathematical description of converting RGB to CMYK?

The mathematical formula for converting RGB values to CMYK values is as follows:

C = 1 - (R/255)
M = 1 - (G/255)
Y = 1 - (B/255)
K = min(C, M, Y)

Where C, M, Y, and K represent the cyan, magenta, yellow, and black values, respectively, and R, G, and B represent the red, green, and blue values.

Why is CMYK used for printing instead of RGB?

CMYK is used for printing because it is a subtractive color model, which means that colors are created by removing light instead of adding it. This is more effective for creating accurate and vibrant colors on printed materials compared to the additive color model used in RGB, which is better suited for digital displays.

What are some practical applications of understanding RGB to CMYK conversion?

Understanding how to convert RGB to CMYK is crucial for graphic designers and printers to ensure that the colors on a digital design will appear accurately when printed. It is also important for photographers who need to adjust their images for different media, such as online platforms or printed materials.