Plotting vector fields in MATLAB or Maple

In summary, to plot a vector field in MATLAB, you can use the "quiver" function with specified coordinates and components. You can also use the "ezplot" function to plot a vector field from an equation. In Maple, the "plotvectorfield" command is used for plotting vector fields and the "plotoptions" command can be used to customize the appearance of the vectors.
JefeNorte

Homework Statement

The original problem was x'=(-2 1; 1 -2)*x and I needed to find two linearly independent solutions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that x1=(1;1)e^(-t) and x2=(1;-1)e^(-3t). Now I am trying to plot a vector field of this. Is there an easy way to do this using MATLAB or Maple or do i need to do each point by hand? I would like to avoid unnecessary headaches if possible.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many good tutorials on Matlab plotting on YouTube. Here is one related to vector field plotting.

1. How do I plot a vector field in MATLAB?

To plot a vector field in MATLAB, you can use the "quiver" function. This function takes in the x and y coordinates of the vectors, as well as the x and y components of the vectors. For example: quiver(x, y, u, v) where x and y are the coordinates and u and v are the components. You can also customize the appearance of the vectors by specifying additional parameters such as color or line style.

2. Can I plot a vector field from an equation in MATLAB?

Yes, you can plot a vector field from an equation in MATLAB by using the "ezplot" function. This function takes in a symbolic expression or equation and plots the corresponding vector field. For example: ezplot('x^2+y^2=1') would plot the vector field for the equation x^2+y^2=1.

3. How do I plot a vector field in Maple?

To plot a vector field in Maple, you can use the "plotvectorfield" command. This command takes in the x and y coordinates of the vectors, as well as the x and y components of the vectors. For example: plotvectorfield([x, y], [u, v]) where x and y are the coordinates and u and v are the components.

4. Can I plot a vector field in Maple from an equation?

Yes, you can plot a vector field from an equation in Maple by using the "plotvectorfield" command with a symbolic expression or equation. For example: plotvectorfield([x, y], [x^2+y^2=1]) would plot the vector field for the equation x^2+y^2=1.

5. How can I customize the appearance of the vectors in Maple?

In Maple, you can use the "plotoptions" command to customize the appearance of the vectors in a vector field. This command allows you to specify parameters such as color, line style, and size. For example: plotoptions(vectorfield, color=red, arrowsize=5) would change the color of the vectors to red and increase their size to 5.