Solving for Net Force and Acceleration: Free Body Diagram Help

In summary, the couch is pushed with a force of 30 N and it will reach a velocity of 2 meters after 5 seconds.
Lemon Mint
1. Probem
Suppose a couch with a mass of 75 kg was resting on a frictionless floor. Roy wants to move the couch to the other side of the room so he pushes it with a force of 30 N for 5.0 seconds.
a) Make a free body diagram of the couch.
b) Find the net force on the couch.
c) Find the couch's acceleration.
d) What velocity will the couch reach?

2. Homework Equations
Acceleration=force/mass

3. The Attempt at a Solution
a) Will this be applied force of 30N pointing right, normal force pointing up, and force of gravity down? In that case, what are the values for the normal and gravity force?
b) Depending on above. Once I know the values I will add them/subtract to find the net force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The normal forces cancel. But as you should know by now their magnitude is |m*g|.

Hence you have your applied force - horizontally.

What then is the acceleration that 30 N produces on 75 kg?

Armed with that it's simple kinematics isn't it?

The force applied to the couch is horizontal. It's your choice if it's pointing to the right or left. Yes, the normal force is pointing up and the gravitational force is pointing down. These two forces cancel each other so there's only a net force in the horizontal direction. There is no frictional force. Since

F=ma

the acceleration can be found. Use the kinematic equations for one dimensional motion to find the final velocity of the couch.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

The normal forces cancel. But as you should know by now their magnitude is |m*g|.

Hence you have your applied force - horizontally.

What then is the acceleration that 30 N produces on 75 kg?

Armed with that it's simple kinematics isn't it?
Not simple for me. I'm only on my second week of basic high school physics and I've missed most of my course due to being sick.
So bear with me if I don't understand. :blushing:

Why would the normal forces cancel out? How do you know that gravity the same as the support force?

OK. The reason the normal force, the force pushing up, and the gravitational force cancel out is because the couch is not accelerating in the vertical direction. If these two forces did not cancel out then the couch would begin moving in the vertical direction. You are probably sitting in a chair right now and the normal force is the chair pushing you up and gravity is pulling you down but you remain at rest. The magnitude of these two forces is equal to your weight and the two forces are in opposite directions so they cancel each other giving a net force of zero. If the chair breaks, the normal force reduces and the gravitational force stays the same and you fall. In this case, the net force is no longer zero.

Got it. Thanks a lot chrisk!

So in that case, the net force is 30N (the horizontal push).
The acceleration is f=ma -> 30=75a -> a=.4
And the velocity that the couch will reach is .4 x 5 = 2

Correct?

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It is a simplified diagram that shows the object as a point and all the external forces acting on it, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object you want to analyze and drawing it as a point. Next, draw all the external forces acting on the object as vectors, labeled with their respective magnitudes and directions. Finally, make sure to include a coordinate system to accurately represent the direction of the forces.

3. Why are free body diagrams important?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us understand the forces acting on an object and their effect on its motion. They also serve as a valuable tool in problem-solving, allowing us to break down complex systems into simpler parts.

4. Can I use free body diagrams in any situation?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used in any situation where there are external forces acting on an object. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the forces involved in various systems.

5. Are there any tips for drawing accurate free body diagrams?

Yes, here are a few tips for drawing accurate free body diagrams:

• Identify all the external forces acting on the object.
  • Label the forces with their respective magnitudes and directions.
  • Make sure the forces are drawn to scale.
  • Use a consistent coordinate system.
  • Double-check your diagram to ensure all forces are included and correctly labeled.