Rational Canonical Form

In summary: Therefore, the second eigenvector is v2 = {-2, -3, 0, 0}Now, let's solve for v3 using the third equation: (A-2I)v3 = v2which can be written as: {2, 1, 2, 0}{-4, -2, 1, 5}{0, 0, -1, -1}{0, 0, 1, 1} * {x9} = {-2} {x10} = {-3} {x11} {x12}Solving this system of
aznmaven
Hi, can someone show me how one would go about finding the matrix Q in Q^(-1) A Q = RationalCanonicalForm(A). Please demonstrate using the example

{4, 1, 2, 0}
{-4, 0, 1, 5} = A
{0, 0, 1, -1}
{0, 0, 1, 3}

where the characteristic polynomial is (x-2)^4 and the minimal polynomial is (x-2)^3. To save you guys some time, I've computed

{2, 1, 2, 0}
{-4, -2, 1, 5} = (A-2I)
{0, 0, -1, -1}
{0, 0, 1, 1}

{0, 0, 3, 3}
{0, 0, -6, -6} = (A-2I)^2
{0, 0, 0, 0}
{0, 0, 0, 0}

Thanks in advance guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix Q can be found by computing the eigenvectors of A. Since the minimal polynomial is (x-2)^3, we know that the eigenvalue of A is 2 and the algebraic multiplicity is 3. Therefore, we need to find three linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 2. We can use the fact that (A-2I)^3 = 0 to solve for eigenvectors. First, let's set up the system of equations:(A-2I)v1 = 0(A-2I)v2 = v1(A-2I)v3 = v2The first equation gives us (A-2I)v1 = 0, which can be written as:{2, 1, 2, 0}{-4, -2, 1, 5}{0, 0, -1, -1}{0, 0, 1, 1} * {x1} = {0} {x2} {x3} {x4}Solving this system of equations gives us: x1 = -2x3 + x4x2 = -3x3 + 2x4Therefore, the first eigenvector is v1 = {-2, -3, 1, 2}Now, let's solve for v2 using the second equation: (A-2I)v2 = v1which can be written as: {2, 1, 2, 0}{-4, -2, 1, 5}{0, 0, -1, -1}{0, 0, 1, 1} * {x5} = {-2} {x6} = {-3} {x7} {x8}Solving this system of equations gives us: x5 = -2

What is the Rational Canonical Form?

The Rational Canonical Form (RCF) is a matrix representation of a linear transformation that is considered to be in its simplest form. It is a square matrix with a block diagonal structure, where each block corresponds to an invariant factor of the linear transformation.

How is the Rational Canonical Form used in mathematics?

The RCF is used to study the algebraic properties of a linear transformation, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and to perform computations involving matrices, such as matrix multiplication and matrix inversion.

What is the relationship between the Rational Canonical Form and Jordan Canonical Form?

The RCF and Jordan Canonical Form (JCF) are closely related. The JCF is a special case of the RCF where the blocks on the diagonal are all of size one. The JCF is used to study the geometric properties of a linear transformation, while the RCF is used for algebraic properties.

How is the Rational Canonical Form computed?

The RCF can be computed using the characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial of the linear transformation. The characteristic polynomial is factored into irreducible polynomials, which then correspond to the invariant factors of the RCF. The minimal polynomial is used to determine the size of each block in the diagonal.

What are the applications of the Rational Canonical Form?

The RCF has various applications in mathematics and other fields, such as physics and engineering. It is used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze the dynamics of linear systems, and study linear transformations in abstract algebra. It also has applications in coding theory and cryptography.