Temperature and Thermal Energy of coffee cup

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a glass coffee cup being plunged into hot dishwater. The conversation also mentions the formulas and attempts at solving the problem.
mppaki
Before I begin, Please note that for some reason I don't really grasp physics equations which is odd since I had a A in chemistry but physics just confuses me and also, I am taking this class to prepare me for college. My pencil broke and I didn't think we would have homework of the stuff we learned so quick, so I decided not to ask anyone for a pencil and just listened through the rest of the lecture but now I regret it.

1. A 4.00 x 10²-g glass coffee cup is at room temperature, 20.0°C. It is then plunged into hot dishwater, 80.0°C. If the temperature of the cup reaches that of the dishwater, how much heat does the cup absorb? Assume the mass of the dishwater is large enough so its temperature doesn't change appreciably.

Homework Equations

The only thing I can think of is Q=mC∆T, but I am pretty sure that is the wrong formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 4.00 x 10²g = 4000 / 1000 = 4kg.
Ti = 20.0°C
Tf = 80.0°C
C = 4180

Q = (4)(4180)(80-20)
Q = 1,003,200 j/kg * K

Physics news on Phys.org
m = 4.00 x 10²g = 4000 / 1000 = 4kg.
Check this one.

oh, um the 1000 is because i needed to convert the grams to kilograms.

It should be 400/1000 kg

oh yes lol, I have a habit of entering in my calc the x10...

Q = (0.4)(4180)(80-20)
Q = 100,320 J/Kg * k

1. What is the difference between temperature and thermal energy?

Temperature and thermal energy are related, but they are not the same thing. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while thermal energy is the total kinetic energy of all the particles in a substance. In other words, temperature tells us how fast the particles are moving on average, while thermal energy tells us the total amount of movement.

2. How does the temperature of a coffee cup change over time?

The temperature of a coffee cup will change over time due to a process called thermal equilibrium. When a hot coffee cup is left in a room, the particles in the cup will transfer their thermal energy to the particles in the room, causing the temperature of the cup to decrease. This process will continue until the temperature of the cup and the room reach equilibrium, meaning they are the same temperature.

3. Why does a coffee cup feel warm to the touch?

A coffee cup feels warm to the touch because it has a higher temperature than our skin. When we touch the cup, thermal energy is transferred from the cup to our skin, causing our skin to warm up. This transfer of thermal energy is what we perceive as warmth.

4. How does the material of a coffee cup affect its temperature?

The material of a coffee cup can affect its temperature in a few ways. First, materials have different thermal conductivities, meaning they transfer thermal energy at different rates. A cup made of a material with a high thermal conductivity, such as metal, will feel warmer to the touch than a cup made of a material with a lower thermal conductivity, such as ceramic. Additionally, some materials, like styrofoam, have insulating properties and can help keep the temperature of the coffee inside the cup from changing too quickly.

5. Can the temperature of a coffee cup affect the taste of the coffee?

Yes, the temperature of a coffee cup can affect the taste of the coffee. The ideal temperature for drinking coffee is between 155-175°F. If a coffee cup is too cold, the coffee may taste bland or bitter. If a coffee cup is too hot, the coffee may taste burnt or overly bitter. Additionally, the temperature can affect the rate at which the coffee cools, which can also impact its taste.