How Do You Calculate the Effective Half-life of a Radioactive Isotope?

• Thread starter larianne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary: T is the effective half-life.In summary, the question asks for the effective half-life of a radioactive isotope given its half-life of six days and biological half-life of ten days. The formula for calculating half-life is T1/2 = 0.693/k, and using this, the effective half-life can be calculated by finding the sum of 1/T1 and 1/T2, and taking the reciprocal to find T.
larianne

Homework Statement

If a patient is given a radioactive isotope which has a half-life of six days and a biological half-life of ten days, what is the effective half-life for the isotope.

Homework Equations

I know the formula for half-life calculations is T1/2 = 0.693/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this. My tutor just briefly went over it. It was a question on a past paper so I just want it covered in case it comes up in my exams.

Any help I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
larianne said:

Homework Statement

If a patient is given a radioactive isotope which has a half-life of six days and a biological half-life of ten days, what is the effective half-life for the isotope.

Homework Equations

I know the formula for half-life calculations is T1/2 = 0.693/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this. My tutor just briefly went over it. It was a question on a past paper so I just want it covered in case it comes up in my exams.

Any help I'd be grateful. Thanks.

For what you are asking I think it works something like this:

N = No*e-t/T1*e-t/T2 = No*e-t/T1+t/T2 = No*et/T

Where 1/T = 1/T1 + 1/T2

Last edited:

The effective half-life of a radioactive isotope is a combination of its physical half-life and its biological half-life. In this case, the physical half-life is six days and the biological half-life is ten days. To calculate the effective half-life, we can use the formula T1/2 = 0.693/k, where k is the decay constant.

First, we need to find the decay constant by dividing 0.693 by the physical half-life of six days. This gives us a decay constant of approximately 0.1155 days^-1.

Next, we can use this decay constant to calculate the effective half-life by dividing 0.693 by the sum of the decay constant and the biological half-life of ten days. This gives us an effective half-life of approximately 4.8 days.

Therefore, the effective half-life for the given radioactive isotope is approximately 4.8 days. This means that after 4.8 days, half of the initial amount of the isotope will have decayed. After another 4.8 days, half of the remaining amount will have decayed, and so on. It is important to note that the effective half-life may vary depending on the individual and their specific biological processes.

1. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or undergo a chemical reaction.

2. How do you calculate half-life?

The formula for calculating half-life is t1/2 = (ln2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln2 is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant.

3. What is the significance of half-life in scientific research?

Half-life is important because it allows scientists to determine the rate of decay of a substance, which can provide valuable information about its properties and behavior.

4. Can half-life be used to predict the future behavior of a substance?

Yes, by knowing the half-life of a substance, scientists can make predictions about its future behavior, such as how long it will take for the substance to decay completely.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the half-life of a substance?

Yes, several factors can influence the half-life of a substance, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other chemicals or particles that can interact with the substance.