Inclined plane and inclined force-acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a sled of mass 8kg on a frictionless slope inclined at 35 degrees to the horizontal. The sled is pulled by a rope with a tension of 40N at an angle of 20 degrees with the slope. The forces acting on the sled are resolved into components parallel and normal to the slope. To find the acceleration of the sled, the equation F=ma is used, with the upward forces being subtracted from the downward forces. The resultant acceleration is in the direction up the slope.
dejna007

Homework Statement

Hi, here is my problem:
A sled of mass 8kg is on frictionless slope inclined at 35 degrees to the horizontal. It is pulled by a rope whose tension is 40N and makes angle 20 degrees with the slope.

a)Resolve all forces, acting on the sled into components parallel and normal to the slope.
b) Find the acceleration of the sled(take up the slope as positive direction)

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I managed to do part a), where first I found components of tension:
Thorizontal=40cos20=37.6 N
Tvertical=40sin20=13.7 N

Components of downward force:
Because the angle between the normal to the slope and the normal to the horizontal is the same as the one between the slope and horizontal
-mgcos35=8x9.8cos35=64.2
-mgsin35=8x9.8sin35=45

For next part, to calculate acceleration all I know is to use F=ma and some of the components calculated in part a).
Can anyone give me a hint to part b) and explain what the resultant force is? or how do I find resultant force in this case?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
the sled is moving up the slope, so the resultant acceleration is logically up the slope right?

So use (in the x-direction) ma= upward forces -downward forces

Thanks for fast reply rock.freak667! My answer has a negative value and according to what you write it should be positive. I can't see where I made mistake. Could it be sign mistake when calculating downward force, the sign of acceleration due to gravity will be negative here?

dejna007 said:
Thanks for fast reply rock.freak667! My answer has a negative value and according to what you write it should be positive. I can't see where I made mistake. Could it be sign mistake when calculating downward force, the sign of acceleration due to gravity will be negative here?

well it seems that you would get a negative answer...you'll just need to just write in the correct direction when you write down the resultant acceleration.

Seems who ever is pulling the rope isn't pulling it hard enough.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface with one end higher than the other. It is used to reduce the force needed to lift an object to a certain height by spreading the work over a longer distance.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by redistributing the force needed to lift an object over a longer distance. This reduces the force needed to lift the object to a certain height, making it easier to lift.

3. What is the relationship between inclined planes and force?

The relationship between inclined planes and force is that an inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height. The longer the inclined plane, the less force is needed to lift the object.

4. How does an inclined plane affect acceleration?

An inclined plane affects acceleration by increasing the distance an object travels over time. This results in a slower acceleration compared to lifting the object straight up.

5. Can an inclined plane be used to accelerate objects?

Yes, an inclined plane can be used to accelerate objects. By increasing the distance the object travels over time, the inclined plane can increase the object's speed and thus, its acceleration.