Can a Random Curve in R^n be C1 and Differentiable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a "random" curve in R^n and the different methods of generating such curves. It is mentioned that the method chosen depends on the desired properties of the curve, with a standard method being the Wiener process. However, it is also noted that this process does not necessarily generate a C1 curve, and further discussion ensues about different stochastic processes and their effects on the smoothness of the curve.
Dragonfall
This came up a while ago in a post. What is a sensible way of defining a "random" curve in R^n? Let's say n=2 in order to keep things simple.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
random points + bezier curves on computer?

Then I'm guessing we can only have finitely many random points. I don't think all curves can be described this way.

What do you mean by "curve"? Graph of any function? or relation? Or continuous function?

What do you mean by "random"? Obeying some probability distribution? What distribution?

Curve = continuous map from a real interval to R^n

Random is what we're trying to define.

Start with a random derivative, and randomly pick the second derivative for each t? Then you have a continuous derivative and probably a well-behaved random curve

Dragonfall said:
Then I'm guessing we can only have finitely many random points. I don't think all curves can be described this way.

I got it wrong. I thought you are trying to generate curves. But why do you need to define "random"? And HallsofIvy is right, with respect to which distribution etc. ?

Dragonfall said:
Curve = continuous map from a real interval to R^n

Random is what we're trying to define.
Who do you mean by "we"? I know how to define "random": according to some probability distribution. That's why I asked what probability distribution you wanted to use.

If you wanted to define a random parabolic curve (I guess this is what you mean by order n=2) then you would just have to pick 3 random numbers.

For each of the random numbers, you would need a distribution. It doesn't make sense to just say "pick a random real number". That cannot be done without further imposed constraints.

HallsofIvy said:
Who do you mean by "we"? I know how to define "random": according to some probability distribution. That's why I asked what probability distribution you wanted to use.

"We" as in those who have posted in this thread before you. So how exactly do you define a probability distribution over the set of curves in R^2? Say according to N[0,1].

Last edited:
AUMathTutor said:
I guess this is what you mean by order n=2

n is the dimension of the space we're in.

Oh right, sorry.

I don't think a random curve in R^2 is well defined. But here's an example of one:

Let an alphabet consist of the following symbols:
x, +, -, *, /, (, and ), and the digits 0...9, with a decimal point, and a special symbol END which means the string is over and a special string START which means the string is beginning.

(1) Start with the START symbol.
(2) Use a probability table associated with START for picking the next character.
(3) Use that character's probability table to select the next character.
(4) Repeat step 3 until you get the END character.
(5) The string between START and END can be interpreted as an expression in x... the probability tables can be chosen judiciously so as to make such strings well-formed. Call this expression e_x.
(6) Let f(x) = e_x. There you go.

For instance, let the tables for START, +, -, *, and / be this:
x: 1/11
0: 1/11
9: 1/11

Let's exclude parentheses from this one.

Let the table for x be this:
+: 1/5
-: 1/5
*: 1/5
/: 1/5
END: 1/5

Let the table for digits be this (let's exclude decimal points)
+: 1/15
-: 1/15
*: 1/15
/: 1/15
0: 1/15
1: 1/15
9: 1/15
END: 1/15

You can imagine rolling dice or writing a program or whatever that would give you a string of random (or pseudorandom) numbers which determined one function in R^2.

I believe this method can be easily extended to R^n. How? Add as many variables as you want to the alphabet.

Dragonfall said:
This came up a while ago in a post. What is a sensible way of defining a "random" curve in R^n? Let's say n=2 in order to keep things simple.

The question is rather ill-defined. There's lots of ways of generating random curves. The method you choose depends on what properties you want. A standard one is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_process" (aka Brownian motion), which is nowhere differentiable.

Last edited by a moderator:
trambolin said:
random points + bezier curves on computer?

gel said:
The question is rather ill-defined. There's lots of ways of generating random curves. The method you choose depends on what properties you want. A standard one is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_process" (aka Brownian motion), which is nowhere differentiable.

does that generate a c1 curve? what stochastic process does?

Last edited by a moderator:
ice109 said:
does that generate a c1 curve? what stochastic process does?

No, its continuous but not differentiable. Could integrate it to get a C1 curve.

1. What is a random curve in R^n?

A random curve in R^n is a mathematical concept that describes the path of a point moving randomly in n-dimensional space. It is typically represented by a continuous function that maps a real number (time) to a point in n-dimensional space.

2. What is the difference between a random curve and a deterministic curve?

A deterministic curve is a curve that follows a specific, predetermined pattern or equation. In contrast, a random curve does not follow a specific pattern and is instead determined by a random process.

3. How is randomness defined in the context of random curves in R^n?

In the context of random curves in R^n, randomness is defined as the lack of a predictable pattern or regularity in the curve's path. This means that the curve's behavior cannot be determined or predicted with certainty.

4. What are some common applications of defining random curves in R^n?

Random curves in R^n have various applications in fields such as physics, biology, finance, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the movement of particles in a gas, the growth of a population, stock market fluctuations, and the animation of natural-looking movements in computer-generated imagery.

5. What are some techniques used to define random curves in R^n?

Some common techniques used to define random curves in R^n include stochastic processes, Markov chains, and Brownian motion. These techniques involve using probability and statistics to describe the random behavior of the curve and make predictions about its future path.