Compound contains only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen.

In summary: Therefore, it is likely that the compound contains other elements such as C and O, but the question only provided the information about NH3 in the second experiment. This means that the compound must have reacted with something else (such as O2) to produce the other products.
Kathy Chan

Homework Statement

A compound contains only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen. Combustion of 0.157 g of the compound produced 0.213 g CO2 and 0.0310 g H2O. In another experiment, it is found that 0.103 g of the compound produces 0.0230 g NH3. What is the empirical formula of the compound? Hint: Combustion involves reacting with excess O2. Assume that all the carbon ends up in CO2 and all the hydrogen ends up in H2O. Also assume that all the nitrogen ends up in the Nh3 in the second experiment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have is
___+ O2 --> CO2 + H2O
___-->NH3
I got stuck after this. I wonder how a compound that contains C, H, N and O yields only NH3. where did C and O go?
Please help me. Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org

There are two experiments. In one experiment you determine the amount of C and H for a given sample size. This can be expressed in percentage. For example 4.4 g CO2 in the first experiment can be expressed as 1.2 g C (elemental). If the original sample that was analyzed in that experiment was 10 g, you have a sample that is composed of 12% C (1.2g/10g*100). Same applies to the hydrogen and the ammonia determined in the second reaction. Once you have those quantities expressed in percentages, add them together. They should sum to 100%... or should they?

You will find that they won't.

What is missing? Why couldn't "it" (that which is missing) be determined in a combustion experiment or the Nitrogen analysis (probably a keldahl analysis)?

Kathy Chan said:
I got stuck after this. I wonder how a compound that contains C, H, N and O yields only NH3. where did C and O go?
The question did not specify that NH3 is the only product; that is clearly impossible. All that it mentioned was that a certain amount of NH3 was produced (along with other product(s))

1. What is a compound that contains only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen?

A compound that contains only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen is known as an organic compound. These compounds are essential for life and are the basis of many biological processes.

2. What are some examples of compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen?

Examples of compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen include amino acids, nucleic acids, carbohydrates, and lipids. These compounds are found in all living organisms and are crucial for their survival.

3. How are compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen important in the environment?

Compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen play a vital role in the environment. They are involved in the carbon and nitrogen cycles, which are essential processes for maintaining a balanced ecosystem. These compounds also serve as nutrients for plants and animals.

4. Can compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen be harmful?

While compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen are necessary for life, some of these compounds can be harmful in large quantities. For example, excess nitrogen compounds in lakes and rivers can lead to eutrophication, which can harm aquatic life.

5. How are compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen studied and analyzed?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study and analyze compounds that contain only carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen. These include spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These techniques allow scientists to identify and characterize the different components of a compound.