The math involved in bending a rod

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the length of a door lever if it were in the form of a straight rod before being bent. The participants suggest using the inner and outer radius of the bend to determine the length, but also note that the material's ability to stretch and compress may impact the accuracy of the calculation. They also suggest doing an experimental test with a piece of known length to ensure accuracy. The conversation concludes with the participant explaining the reason for this calculation and the potential challenges in obtaining the exact physical properties of the material.
camacru
I have a door lever which has a 90 deg. bend. I need to calculate the length that this lever would have to be if it were in the form of a straight rod, prior to being bent.

I know I have all the input data, I'm just not sure how to express this algebraically. For example, I know that the inner radius of the bend is 0.416", and the outer radius is 0.892". Based on this data, how can I calculate the length of the lever prior to being bent?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That would depend on how much the rod material can stretch and/or compress. Assuming no stretching, then the outer radius would consist of a quarter-circle having the same radius (0.892"). That arc would then have a length of 1/4 of the circumference of a 0.892" radius circle. Calculate that then add the straight lengths to it.

[tex]C=2\pi r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4}C=\frac{\pi r}{2}[/tex]

If the material stretches, this won't be accurate though.

It would be much easier to take a piece of rod of a known length, bend it, and cut off the amount you don't need. Subtract that amount (that was cut off) from your original length. That will give you the total length needed.

It is a nontrivial engineering problem and the answer will depend on properties of the material.

To the lowest approximation, it would probably be most accurate to assume that the outer half of the rod will stretch and the inner half will compress. So, the total length ~ straight lengths + pi r_c/2 where r_c = (0.416+0.892)/2.

My advice would be to do this experimentally, as the previous poster suggested.

Thanks for the help guys. The lever is actually made out of brass, so there is definitely some degree of stretching and compression. Here's the problem. Basically, what I am doing is a simple exercise in reverse engineering. I have a finished lever sample, and I am trying to duplicate it in Solidworks, but I need to model it in the form of a straight rod because it will be lathed then bent. I modeled the lever, applied a flex modifier and bent the digital rod to 90deg. However, when I supplied the drawings to the shop, the bend was completely off. Perhaps the problem is as simple as not having used the proper bending wheel during the bending process. Nonetheless, I want to re-evaluate my design, and mathematically calculate the dimensions to determine if my model was flawed to begin with. Do you think this can be done without having the exact physical properties of the material?

1. How is the bending of a rod calculated?

The calculation of bending a rod involves the use of various mathematical formulas, including the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation and the moment of inertia equation. These equations take into account factors such as the material properties of the rod, its length, and the applied load to determine the amount of bending that will occur.

2. What is the difference between bending and torsion in a rod?

Bending and torsion are two different types of stress that can occur in a rod. Bending is the result of an applied load causing the rod to bend along its length, while torsion is the twisting of the rod around its axis. Both types of stress can be calculated using different mathematical equations.

3. How does the diameter of a rod affect its bending capabilities?

The diameter of a rod plays a significant role in its bending capabilities. A thicker rod will have a higher moment of inertia, making it more resistant to bending. This means that a thicker rod can withstand a greater load before it starts to bend, compared to a thinner rod.

4. Can the bending of a rod be predicted accurately?

While the use of mathematical equations can provide a good estimate of the amount of bending a rod will experience, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the prediction. These include imperfections in the material of the rod, the presence of other external forces, and the complexity of the rod's shape. Therefore, the bending of a rod can be predicted accurately, but it may not be 100% precise.

5. What are some real-world applications of the math involved in bending a rod?

The math involved in bending a rod has many real-world applications, including in engineering and construction. It is used to design and analyze structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplanes, as well as to determine the strength and durability of various materials. It is also essential in manufacturing processes, such as metal forming and shaping.