Charge distribution and total charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the total charge and capacitance of two curved metal sheets on a pipe with a 9V potential applied to them. The formula for charge distribution on a surface is mentioned and it is noted that the total charge can be found by integrating this distribution over the entire area. The Schwarz transformation method from Smythe's "Static and Dynamic Electricity" is suggested for solving cylindrical geometry capacitor problems. The need to multiply the charge by two is questioned and an alternative method is sought.
mathew086
I am having two metal sheets which are curved and fitted on the outer sides of a pipe. A 9V pottential is applied to both the plates.
Dimensions of the plate = 130mm X 65mm (L X B)
How can i find the charge distribution on the plates to find the total charge. I need this to calculate the capacitance produced. ( mathematical way)

I have seen that the charge distribution on a surface = dQ/dA and total charge Q = intrgrating this charge distribution over the whole area.

So inorder to find the charge distribution over the whole surface, i need to add twice the charged distribution on a single plate. ( am I correct??)

Physics news on Phys.org
Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" 3rd Edition Chapter IV uses the Schwarz transformation to solve cylindrical geometry capacitor problems.

Why do you think you have to multiply the charge by two? All of the charge is on the inside surfaces.
Bob S

Hey bob

I looked for schwarz transformation to calculate that in google. but could find anything. Is there any other method.

What is charge distribution?

Charge distribution refers to the arrangement and distribution of electric charge within a system. It describes how the charges are distributed in space and can be used to calculate the electric field and potential within the system.

How is charge distribution related to total charge?

The total charge of a system is equal to the sum of all the individual charges within that system. Therefore, the distribution of charge within a system affects the total charge and can impact the overall behavior of the system.

What factors influence charge distribution?

The charge distribution within a system is influenced by the characteristics of the charges themselves, such as their magnitude and sign, as well as the distance between them. Other factors that can impact charge distribution include the presence of conductive materials and external electric fields.

How can charge distribution be measured or calculated?

Charge distribution can be measured using instruments such as an electroscope or a Faraday cage. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations, such as Gauss's law, which relates the total charge to the electric field and the geometry of the system.

Why is understanding charge distribution important?

Understanding charge distribution is important in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of electrically charged systems, which is essential for the development of technology and the advancement of scientific research.