Roots of unity of matrices

In summary, the nth roots of unity of a matrix can be calculated using eigenvalues and there are not n many nth roots of unity, unlike scalars. For a 2x2 matrix, there are n^2 roots of unity. The general formula for finding the nth roots of unity for a size-k matrix is n^k. The geometrical interpretation of the nth roots of unity of a matrix is that the determinants are equal, similar to how the nth roots of unity of a scalar form a regular polygon. However, the placement of the vectors that compose the matrix is determined by the solutions of a system of quadratic equations. Additionally, for diagonal matrices, there are exactly n^k n-th roots of unity, but for
okkvlt
hi. i have recently become very interested in the idea of the nth roots of unity. i have discovered how to calculate them (using eigenvalues), and i find it very fascinating that there are not n many nth roots of unity(unlike scalars).
aparently in the case where the matrix is 2x2, there are n^2 roots of unity

my questions:
given a size=k matrix, find the nth roots of unity. how many roots of unity are there? i want a general formula. is it n^k?
What is the geometrical interperetation of the nth roots of unity of a matrix? the determinants of the nth roots are equal(analogous to the fact that the nth roots of unity of a scalar are points on a circle), but what about the placement of the vectors that compose the matrix? in other words, what is analogous to the fact that the roots of unity of a scalar form a regular polygon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, there are infinitely many square roots! If you solve the system of four quadratic equations in four unknowns, you get the solutions:

[tex]\left[ \begin{matrix}{\sqrt{1 - xy} & x \\ y & \pm -\sqrt{1 - xy}}\end{matrix} \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \begin{matrix}{-\sqrt{1 - xy} & x \\ y & \pm \sqrt{1 - xy}}\end{matrix} \right][/tex]

where x and y can be any numbers at all, such that xy is in [0,1].

Your formula is correct for diagonal matrices: there are exactly n^k n-th roots of unity. This is easy to see, because each diagonal entry can be any n-th root of unity.

But to each such diagonal matrix, there are infinitely many matrices similar to it: for any invertible matrix P, if D is one if your n-th roots of unity, then PDP-1 is another n-th root of unity.

1. What are roots of unity of matrices?

Roots of unity of matrices are complex numbers that, when raised to a certain power, result in the identity matrix. In other words, they are solutions to the equation An = I, where A is a matrix and n is a positive integer.

2. How are roots of unity of matrices related to eigenvalues?

The eigenvalues of a matrix are also roots of unity. This means that they can be used to find the roots of unity of a matrix and vice versa. Additionally, the eigenvalues of a matrix with roots of unity as its elements will always be 1.

3. Can matrices have more than one set of roots of unity?

Yes, matrices can have multiple sets of roots of unity. This is because there can be multiple complex numbers that satisfy the equation An = I for a given matrix A. However, the number of roots of unity will always be equal to the dimension of the matrix.

4. What is the significance of roots of unity of matrices?

Roots of unity of matrices have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in linear algebra to find solutions to systems of equations and diagonalize matrices. They also have connections to symmetry and group theory, making them important in fields like quantum mechanics and crystallography.

5. How are roots of unity of matrices calculated?

The roots of unity of a matrix can be calculated using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Once the eigenvalues are found, they can be raised to different powers to find the corresponding roots of unity. Alternatively, a matrix can also be diagonalized to find its roots of unity directly.